building a block wall for the first time

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Im about to build a block wall in the back of my garden ..It is 27ft long and i need it to be 6ft high...Ive used a online estimate program which said i need 180 blocks approx...How deep would i need to do the foundations and how wide ,will i need pillars and drainage ,and would i use 100mm blocks . It will be supporting a mound of mud ,appreciate any help ..Thanks guys ..Rhurbarb ;)

Sponsored Links
Even if it was free standing 6ft is too high for a 4'' wall.

As woody says how much is it retaining.

A six foot retaining wall needs to be designed by an engineer.

If you decide to wing it, it would need to be at least 450mm thick at the base and something like a 1m wide foundation, if not more.

But you really shouldn't wing it with a six foot wall. What I'm saying is that 180 blocks will be nowhere near enough.

Sponsored Links
The earths about 4ft high..its currently being held back by tavistock rock which is stacked on top of each other without any cement bonding it together...doesnt seem to be not much load against the original wall.
I thought a 6ft high wall with a small fence on top would block out the dogwalkers etc from the park .Thanks for the quick replies..Rhurbarb

Regardless of whether or not it's acting as a retaining wall, 6ft is still far too high for a 100 block wall, even if most of it is not showing above the top of the wall to the rear.
At 27ft long, you might need to consider a movement joint, though it's on the borderline.

Ok Thanks Tony .is there a step by step guide or a video i can use as a reference for this? ..Thanks guys

is there a step by step guide or a video i can use as a reference for this? .

You need to be careful on this as it's not just a case of following a few diagrams.
Even if the wall is partly in front of another wall, it will still be exposed at the top and will be subject to wind pressure (and possibly suction). Wind pressure acting on, say, the upper exposed 2 ft of the wall could be enough to topple it because of the leverage.
Personally I wouldn't consider a 4" thick block wall viable - it's far too slender.
Although it would be an extra expense, I would be inclined, as RR suggested above, to have a word with an engineer.
Even if you just phoned a local engineer, I'm sure they would explain to you the issues and where you might come unstuck if not careful.

Thanks Tony thats very interesting points you brought up there .I will ring the engineer ...Thanks mate ..Rhurbarb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back