Building a dog house - type of wood to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We'll be getting a new dog very soon and before it arrives I would like to a build a house for him in the garden which will stand up to the elements. The dog will actually be living with us in our house, but I wanted to build it for him when he's in the garden with us and wants a quick nap or relax.

I have the size and shape of it planned out, but the only thing I am uncertain of is the type of wood to use. I am not sure whether to use normal or pressure treated wood. I am worried that the chemicals used in the pressure treatment process is harmful to dogs/animals.

Has anyone built their own dog house and can offer me any advice or info? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Depends on your budget as you could always use hardwoods if you were concerned about health/durability e.g. cedar.

Sponsored Links
Clad the whole thing in roofing felt and it should survive , agree with shuttering ply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back