Building a dormer - rough (very rough) cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New here but had a look around and seems like a mixture of well informed experts and enthusiasts and I am looking for some guidance or advice if possible.

I live in Scotland, whether that makes a difference or not I am unsure but thought more info is better than less, and I am looking to get a dormer "extension" added to my house.
It is a standard late 1970's "villa style" detached two story house, the type with the steep pitched roof and rooms inside with sloping walls.
It is because of these sloping walls that I am thinking of putting a dormer on for the bathroom as the sloping wall means having a shower is bloody difficult for me.
It would just be an extension of the space already being used, probably 2.5M in length and 2M from where the current wall is out to the roof edge.

I wouldn't need a window as there is already a window in the bathroom which is also part of the space problem internally as it's in the only other place where the bath could sensibly be put, but who wants the bath in front of a window, right?

Basically, I hope all that makes sense and wonder if anyone could give me a ballpark figure of what this would cost so that I can start to convince the wife it's not impractical?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
3 to 5 grand on materials, double it if you're getting someone to install it for you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back