building a garage in garden permitted development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, we are wanting to build a 30ft X 20ft wooden garage in our 1 acre garden. Our house is in the country with no nabours close by and our house is on an unclassified country lane. Our house sits in the middle of the plot but the front of the house doesn't face the road the side does. Looking at the planning portal suggests that no planning is needed as the building would be at the rear of the property, over 2 meters from the boundary being the country lane, under 4 meters in height and have an eves height of under 2.5 meters. Our architect said planning would be needed as you can't build closer to the road than the closest part of the house Of which the garage would be but it is to be at the rear of the house. All very confusing, our local planning council herefordshire no longer offer free advice. they charge 172 pounds just to ask which means sending detailed drawings and plans.

Sponsored Links
In my opinion the principal elevation here (and there can be only one) is the elevation with your front door and not the one facing the highway, however the legislation is unclear in cases like this and it will be down to the LA to decide. And they won't do that for free as you have found. So you either stick two fingers up at this beurocracy and just get on with it or just whack an application in. If an application is submitted I suspect the LA will conveniently say the side is the principal ele.

I have decided to move said building somewhere else so it is further away from the lane than the house. Which will make sure it complies with permitted development. Just got to go through building regs next. Many thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back