building a garage/workshop+planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there. I hope to build a 30ftx20ftx12ft to eves, workshop come garage in my garden. It will come as a kit from a wooden barn company. I want to place it in our garden 2 meters from our unclassified country lane. We have a nabours on the oposite side of the lane 40 feet further up from where it will be. Is planning going to be easily got or have I no hope? Also. We own all the land surrounding the garden, some 4 acres.

Sponsored Links
At 12ft high to the eaves you won't fit under permitted development. It'll need to be have a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof. Probably worth a quick chat with the planning office to see what they think. They can be pretty helpful.

Even outside PD its not miles away so planning should be possible unless there are special reasons for your location. The neighbours won't have any grounds for complaint so it'll need something quite specific in the town plan for the planners to object. Of course this is planning law so anything can happen, though :)

Have a read of this:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back