Building a leaning shed - Novice - Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Thank you all for your valuable contributions. I have some stuff to put away. I had only one option, to get a garden shed. I was about to get one from b&q as they are running a 20% discount on everything. Then I realised I have to make a floor myself. Considering that and the amount of effort required to assemble the unit, I gave a re-thought. It will be better if I build one, looking neat and more spacious consuming less area.

There is the outer wall for the garden on both two sides. Since the roof will be making the area water proof, I may not need to build a floor. (The floor is already paved.

From my understanding I need to build a frame and nail cladding to it (cladding outside) . This will be my first wood work project.

Please help me plan this.

1. what would be the size and type of the timber & best place to buy.
2. how to make strong joints on the frame
3. How to make a door and attach it to the shed
4. Making a window.
5. Roof - do i need plywood or osb on top and felt sheet on top.

Sorry I have asked everything, I have some general idea. As being a novice I need some help from the experienced hands.

This will be a leaning shed, leaning towards the front. The highest point will be 6' and I am not planning for a slope of more than 3" as it will reduce the hight at the entrance and the depth of the roof is 150 - 160 cm max .Please find the picture of the garden with markings to make things clear.

//www.diynot.com/network/ichayan/albums/12242

Sponsored Links
1. timber sizes framing ex 50 x 50 regularised or ex 75 x 50 cls
2. Drill and screw add diagonals or sheet ply for rigidity.
3.vertical boarding ie T&G "double z "frame to rear & quality galvanised
t hinges
4. as per your diagram board around edge . simple frame created by fixing batten to perimetr on outside face. glass simply fixes behind with some silicon and beads.
Preferably quality plywood and quality felt on rafters or look up Onduline sheeting better still.

Best place to buy from a timber merchant fencing/ shed supplier
try and get tanalised as it lasts longer and dont forget to retreat any cut ends
Avoid osb unless you certain it will be bone dry and the osb is suported every 400 mm max

good luck

Hi Fencer,

Thank you for your time and kind information. It is very helpufl. I have decided not to have window as I will be wiring up the shed. It will allow more room for shelves etc.

Please help me with the following queries

1. Will I be ok without building a floor?

2. What type of cladding should I go for?

3.. for roof can I just screw the plywood on the frame without rafters? If not, Can you recommend some rafters, I assume rafters can be less thicker than the frame work. I am worried about the height at the front. At the back the highest point is going to be 172 CM (or it will go over the wall) and if I allow 10 - 15 cm slope to the front (is this enough). If I add rafters then the hight is going to get reduced further.

These are the ondes I have in mind for frame please recommend

http://www.wickes.co.uk/sawn-treated-softwood/invt/107070/

http://www.wickes.co.uk/studwork-timber/invt/107177/

I want to keep cost down at the same time a durable one.

Or shall i dump all of it and go for a metal shed this is the one which was in my mind. But again I have to build the floor for it and assembling takes 2 people a day.
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...w-6-5-Greenvale-Metal-Apex-Roof-Shed-11987647

Thanks in advance[/url]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back