Building a room within a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large garage workshop and want to build a small room in one corner by creating a new L-shaped wall.

I was wondering what the best way to construct this was. I have a fair bit of (DIY) experience at building stud partitions but what are the best materials to use? The garage is dry but unheated and can be a bit damp in the winter.

The alternative is blockwork, I suppose, but I've never done it before. I don't mind having a go if that's the best way.

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I did exactly the same thing for a small office 6ft x 8ft. I had little regards for any building rules or regs, so this is purely what I did and how I did it, whether its "proper" or not isn't for me to say. Make your own judgement.

Sheet of damp proof plastic on concrete floor and I took this a foot or so up the existing brick walls, and left it well over size where the 2 new walls would be.

Timber frame floor sat on top (means a step up, but you need to insulate). I didn't bother fixing this down as the walls tied it in place once built.

Timber fixed vertically to brickwork using frame fixings on existing 2 walls. This was with the thin edge against the brickwork to allow for some deep insulation. I used 150mm frame fixings and countersunk them into the timber by about 60mm.

2x stud walls fixed to floor frame one with a standard door frame, and internal door (with draught excluder and a good fit)

I already had the makings of a loft in the garage, so just insulated and plaster boarded the underside of that.

Floor, walls, ceiling were all stuffed full of fibreglass loft insulation (cheap) before plaster boarding, and chipboard (floor)

Externally I clad it in marine ply, pva'd it and painted it. I then folded the oversize damproof mebrane from the start up the walls by a good 6inces and stapled it neatly in place.

All timber used was bog standard CLS (the larger size 140ish x 45ish) available off the shelf in DIY stores, and cheap as chips. (cheaper still from a wood yard)

2 computers running 24x7 kept it warm for most of the year, on exceptionally cold days I had an oil rad wth a thermostat. I also replaced the old single glazed window with a 2nd hand one of the correct dimensions from fleabay.

Never had a problem with damp (It was full of IT kit). Its been there 4years, and aside from now being home to a multigym instead of office its as it was when I built it. Decorated and carpeted just like a room in the house. Did the bulk of it in a long weekend.

Cool - thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I wasn't going to bother with the floor - although you have made me think. The floor is the dry bit and the existing 'side door' will open into this room which would make it really tricky.

The marine ply is a good idea (although expensive I expect). I had looked at damp resistant plasterboard but that will probably get damaged on the garage side. Might use it on the inside.

Cheers!

I wasn't going to bother with the floor - although you have made me think. The floor is the dry bit and the existing 'side door' will open into this room which would make it really tricky.

I was sat in my office 8hours a day, if I hadn't insulated the floor my toes would have had frost bite, even with heating on. Depends what your using it for, but definitely worth considering. Perhaps if the eixisting door were to open outwards? Or have a cutout in the floor for the door to open into, and a step up when clear of the door? Even if you have an inch or 2 clearance under door as it is, you can get really thin celotex now, which is probably as efficient as my 140mm of fibreglass!

The marine ply is a good idea (although expensive I expect). I had looked at damp resistant plasterboard but that will probably get damaged on the garage side. Might use it on the inside.
Not sure if marine ply is what I meant! its the exterior grade stuff ie, doesn't delaminate as soon as it gets damp. I think I paid about £20 sheet for 12mm from wickes. I just used bog standard plasterboard internally.

Sponsored Links
I know the one you mean.... boil and something proof :)

I take your point on the floor. I probably do have about 30-40mm so I'll see what's available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back