Building a shed from scratch

big-all thanks for all your help here an otehr posts.

Keep reading about/seeing mentions about some waterproofing sheets or membranes going up on inside of timber wall before ply goes on so

T&G or shiplap outside - then 3"x2" timber studs - insulation between studs - membrane/plastic sheeting - ply

What is thsi fabled plastics I hear about? Is there any value in it? Saw a pic of a Kingpan fabric on one shed? What does it do? Do I need it? - you know the usual questions.

Thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
the trouble is your supposed to have a 1" ventilated gap between outer wall and insulation with a breathable membrane holding the insulation
now a 1" gap great but theres no airflow as the space is fully enclosed

anyway i have been paranoid about stopping damp penetration cladding
pressure treated shiplap 3 coats off waxy sadlon left for 2 years with no water penetration another 2 coats off sadlon
4" loft insulation filling the 3"void to the 12mm exteriour ply linning the inside
now thats fully against all advice as trapped moisture cant easily escape
although the ply as its untreated so should breath very slightly

i am willing to risk the chance there may be problems but touch wood none so far
i do once a week heat the shed to mid to high 20s[25-28 degrees] with the wood burner to try and draw any excessive moisture out
i will report back if i do have damp problems ;)

Why have people decided to insulate and ply the inside of the shed? I was thinking I would just leave it as a shed, exposed timber panels with plenty of frame to hang things from.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back