Building a shed on a Paddock, plus change of use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1/2 acre of land designated as a paddock, it was previously owned by a builder who used it to store bricks etc, this has been the case for over 10 years, although recently it has just been left to overgrow.

Although our house is in a conservation area, the paddock isn't, and although they are adjoining, they were bought separately.

Do I need planning permission to put a shed on the paddock?

Does the fact that the paddock has been used for a different purpose for so long mean it would be easy to apply for a change of use? Would this be of any benefit anyway?

Sponsored Links
I think your first action, is to get the 2 pieces of land combined, legally. I don't you'd have a lot of issues after that.

If you get the pieces of land combined the paddock may fall into the conservation area, also you may need planning permission for change of use from paddock/agricultural to domestic.

I think you can put a shed on a paddock (other planning considerations permitting) providing the paddock remains a paddock.

Thanks for the replies.

The house is listed, so from what I've just read (that the entire property aquires listed status) I don't think combining them would be a good idea.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

The house is listed, so from what I've just read (that the entire property aquires listed status) I don't think combining them would be a good idea.

Probs best to talk to land reg and the council, I would have thought combined the property would be worth more, I confess thats a bit of a guess though.

You can put a shed/stable on a paddock providing it is movable and not fixed to the ground or on a solid concrete base etc.
Google mobile stables/field shelters etc

The listed status and the rules about outbuildings apply to the area of the curtilage. You don't change the curtilage by combining the titles, and a curtilage does not necesarily include the entire area of land surrounding a house.

I don't think combining titles in itself has any effect on planning rules, although may of course have other benefits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back