Building carport/ garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

last year i build a largeish timber framed building with office in my garden.
I now have a friend who want me to build something the same with him in his garden to store his cars in.
They are both going to be about the same size 16ftx20ft. with the front open on his one.

my question is mainly about the base which will be concrete.
my currant one had hardcore put down first then about 7inch of concrete on top. do you think this sort of thing would support cars?
also does there need to be the metal cage inside the concrete (sorry cant think of the proper name on the flat metal stuff that holds the concrete togeather).

thank you for any help

Sponsored Links
Should be ok, steel reinforcing mesh is optional, probably ok without unless he has an armoured car or a tank. ;)
Ensure hard core is well compacted.

Thank you that is a real help.
also as i said the front of the building will be open with hopefully no supports in the middle, as i wont be able to get any lengths of wood long enought am i able to join two lenghts togeather by adding two smaller bits of wood either side and clapping it all togeather with coach bolts, would that work ok
Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
hi;;;;
any ideas, have started construction of lean to carport on our gable,now the drive is dual and the house next door has his garage forward of ours by 7 metres this has given me a spot to build this carport, BUT ive place the posts close to his wall and theres a small gap that the gutter has filled and nothing is touching his wall at all freesatandin post.
hes complained that theres a 8" rule that people cannot build so claose, ie must be 8" away from his wall???
help???
iam ok with permitted devolopment as front and side will be open,, ie this side only 1" gap....
any ideas over this 8"????????????????
think hes confused as to 'your allowed a max overhang for soffits etc on neihbours property ????
help as feel that I do not wish to proceed and then have to remove and replace 8" less....if iam wrong??? :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back