Building Control Application for a Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just submitted a planning application to build a detached double garage in my garden.

Because the floor area exceeds 30m^2 i will need building control approval for this building.

What i'm wondering is if anyone happens to have any examples of what i need to send to building control?

For the planning application, i went on the local councils planning website and found other similar applications for double garages, and this showed me several useful examples of what was required, which was little more than a location plan, site plan and some elevation drawings.

However the building control part of the site doesnt disclose any of the application details, so i cant actually see what info i need to submit. I've picked up bits and bobs but i would really like to see a completed application pack to get an idea of whats required.

The provisional plan i've got for the building is a solid concrete floor with trench fill foundations, a few courses of brick or block then a timber frame for the walls from 6x2's filled with insulation. Externally i plan to attach metal lath and have it rendered to match the house, internally probably OSB then plasterboard. Roof is apex construction likely with trusses, but i want the "attic truss" style so i can use the loft area for storage.

Cheers
Kev

Sponsored Links
However the building control part of the site doesnt disclose any of the application details
This is the reason we have designers/teccies/architects and it is where they earn their crust.

It is no coincidence that this is the bit where people get stuck and the least desirable part of design. Pretty drawings with people, cars and shrubs drawn on them is one thing, but providing a buildable, coherent, buiding reg's compliant drawing is another.

The reg's list is long and I doubt anyone is going to nurse you through them all.
Foundations: Mass filled (C24)600mm wide at 1m minimum depth. Any trees or shrubs...etc etc. Foundations close to drains to be lower than drain invert...etc etc. Where drains pass through foundations, to be encased...etc, etc. Clay barrier to be used...etc etc.

There are paragraphs full of details some relevant some not so. I personally don't think it is a DIY job.

I understand no-ones going to sit and talk me thru every step of the process, but i didnt actually ask for that.

I was just hoping someone would have some drawings that they'd had done for their own garage, so i could see what sort of things were required.

I looked over some drawings at the weekend for an extension that was done at a mates house quite a few years ago (mid 90's) so i've now at least seen some level of whats required. Oddly it was a lot LESS detailed than i thaught it would be, but maybe thats by virtue of its age and they're a lot stricter now.

I've just been through this for my garage build and a full plans building regs application.

They wanted drawings of the concrete slab along with all calculations as we couldn't use trench fill foundations due to the proximity of some lleylandi trees. Calculations for lintels, truss design and calculations, spec of roofing felt, DPC and calculations for soak away.

Hope that helps a bit.

Sponsored Links
Your 'garage' sounds very much like a habitable space- insulation, plasterboard etc etc. But none of my business that.

If you go for a simple construction Building Control won't want much in the way of drawings (if you're lucky). Timber frame is not a simple construction, concrete block is. I had some drawings done for planning and used those.

My garage (just getting into the roof) needed PP, then a stroll to building control- they told me how deep and how wide they wanted the foundations so did that. Roof- if I used manufactured trusses then no worries, if I went for joists they wanted calcs (I wanted joists for storage headroom so got the supplier to do the sums). Guttering- heavy clay round here so they told me to run a pipe from the garage to the house drainage 25metre trench- boo, But gets me a loo and a sink= hurrah! Lintels- again I used manufactured ones (concrete for personnel door, steel for roller shutter door)- they cost a bit more than random RSJs but they come with all the calcs done.

Roof detailing- just been speaking to them about that, restraint straps as the Approved Documents (though they want non-ferrous screws for the straps and if I trim them make sure I paint the ends with Galvafroid or similar, frame anchors rather than skew nailing from rafters to wallplate (easier to see and easier to fit for that matter) and cover flash over the corners.

You can do it on a building notice rather than full plans. Basically you just let them know what the project is and they visit at various points to check stuff. Of course if what you have done is wrong it'll need putting right, whereas with full plans as long as you follow the plan all will be well. They may ask for calcs and structural details but I think that would be unlikely for a garage if you use standard building practices. Are you putting in electrics? These will need approval, too, as would drains if applicable.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bu...ogetapproval/bcpresiteapproval/buildingnotice

Thanks, that provides me with some useful info.

noseall: I'm not really sure what your problem is. This is a DIY forum and i'm asking for advice on a DIY project. Evidently some things will be outwith the scope of a DIYer, EG if building control want calculations for roof trusses or lintels, they're going to want that data to have come from a qualified structural engineer. I have no issue with that. Similarly the electrics will probably need to be certified by a spark with the appropriate qualifications etc etc. As i've tried to get across, i'm trying to find out what they want, what portions of that i can do, and what i will need to contract out. I could choose to employ an architect, get full plans done by them, hand them to a builder and sit and wait for the garage to spring out the ground, while shovelling money at various people to make everything magically happen, but thats not a DIY approach is it?

oldbutnotdead: I guess it depends how you define "habitable". If i'm out there for 8 hours on a saturday working on a project, in the middle of winter, i want it warm and dry, hence the insulation and whatnot.

Im not spending the money to build a glorified storage area as most folk in the UK seem to use their garages, but more of a workshop facility so i can work on things without being outside on the driveway. Ive spent enough years working on the driveway to know what i want, and have had enough projects that have sat stalled for half a year or more because the weather is too poor to work on them and i have nowhere sheltered that i can use. The property currently has a glorified shed acting as a single garage, which is draughty, damp and far to cramped to do anything other than park one car inside out the rain.

Think of something like this:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh241/nytehawk_chris/Garage/Garage026Large.jpg

Though chances of me keeping it quite that tidy are somewhere between small and zero!

I'm not planning on sticking a bed and kitchen in there and trying to pass it off as a "granny flat".

I've chosen timber frame as i can integrate the insulation into it, keeping the wall thickness to a minimum. If i build it with blockwork, it'll take me MUCH longer to actually put it up unless i employ a bricklayer, and i'll lose several more inches inside the building by the time i've battened it out and installed insulation on the inside. Also means i can use rockwool which is cheap, rather than having to use expensive kingspan type products to minimise the thickness!

I guess i'll take what i've got and see if i can have a chat with building control and go from there!

You can do it on a building notice rather than full plans. Basically you just let them know what the project is and they visit at various points to check stuff. Of course if what you have done is wrong it'll need putting right, whereas with full plans as long as you follow the plan all will be well. They may ask for calcs and structural details but I think that would be unlikely for a garage if you use standard building practices. Are you putting in electrics? These will need approval, too, as would drains if applicable.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bu...oval/bcpresiteapproval/buildingnotice[/QUOTE]

Might be a bit different as i'm in scotland, but i'll certainly investigate that as an option.

See you point on the insulation front. Not sure about plasterboard in a garage (not good at resisting mechanical impacts)- maybe OSB or ply for the bottom 8' then leave the vapour barrier exposed for all anyone will care.

I know they're fugly but you have you thought about one of these steel-framed buildings- one idea I had on my build was to get a steel frame portal building and roof put up and then fill the sides in with whatever I liked (only wind loading to worry about rather than structural loads). With hindsight I'd explore that route in more detail- long span timber gets very expensive!

And Building Notice is the way I went- with it being a simple structure the guy who did the drawings just followed the Approved Documents for foundations, buttresses etc. and Building Control have been v helpful with my questions as the build has gone on (mostly phrased like 'Part x says this has to be done but the design won't allow that, would y work instead or is there another better way of doing it?' ). Our lot love being asked for advice.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back