Building control re: partition wall in garage

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by RRRRRR, 11 Mar 2010.

1. RRRRRR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi- I'm knocking kitchen into garage, but want to retain an area in the garage for storage before I reach the garage doors (which are staying). Anyone know if I can I partition wall this bit off, with a door, without adding a window/ insulation etc. inside the storage area. Can't find any specific regs. Thanks.

2. stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Part L of the building regulations deals with preventing heat loss.

My understanding would be that the area behind the garage doors, which I assume are not draughtproofed or insulated and possibly has single uninsulated walls, would need an external door (double glazed and draughtproofed) between it and the living accomodation. Also the partition wall would need to be insulated as if it were an external wall too.

This certainly applies to the walls between conservatories and habitable rooms, which because they do not meet the thermal requirements, the rest of the house has to be insulated from them.

A quick telephone call to your LABC would confirm.

There are also requirements to prevent the spread of fire between a garage and dwelling, but maybe that wouldn't apply once it's not big enough to get a car in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nickam

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello R,
    I did exactly that with my own house apart from knocking through from the kitchen. I already had a rear door from the kitchen into the garage so I just put up an insulated timber stud wall about half way down the garage, put in a timber suspended floor and now use half the garage a a utility. I did though have drainage already in the garage which helped with plumbing washing machine. I installed a fan with a humidistat for ventilation.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. sharma992

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Make sure the garage doors insulation is rated, last thing you want is the room to be cold :)

5. DOHdesigns

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A six month old thread...

• Thanks Thanks x 1