Building Control - Supporting Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, iv just moved into a new flat, and i have a rather useless square area and hall to the back door with a small bedroom, im looking into removing the wall seperating the hall and bedroom, but not sure wear to start,

Iv included 2 diagrams, A1 is the plan now, and A2 is what im after, Iv looked in the attic and the beans supporting the ceiling span the width of the flat, which is 3.7 meters, the beams are 2" x 5".

Are these enough to support the ceiling to not require contacting the BCO, or, will i need to instal a beam where the dotted red line is on A2? If so, can I do the work my self? As the form asks for how much its costing. And can the beam be supported by the frame of the vestibule at the back door, and above the new door into the bedroom? Can this be a timber beam rather than steel as its only a ceiling and not a floor joist above?

Hope you can help, thanks :)

Wont let me add images, heres the link to my album:
//www.diynot.com/network/junoeclipse/albums/9044

Sponsored Links
Does that mean you intend to enter your flat more or less straight in to the bedroom? Don't like that idea!
Anyway what is the dividing wall made of?
If it's a stud wall the chances are it is not a supporting wall, if it's made of brick/blocks, the chance are it is a supporting wall. Are any of the ceiling joist above joined together where the wall supports them?
I would always recommend getting the advice of a structural engineer, if I was unsure what the purpose the wall is serving.

No its a stud wall, however with the ceiling joists being only 2" x 5" im not sure if they can span 3.7 meters, I dont have much money so would rather avoid a SE, and just have some information from expereience so i know if and what i need to do BCO wise, Also no, I have a front door, thats just a door into a small yard :)

Sponsored Links
Yes about 6 beams run over the wall thats why im wondering if i need a supporting beam, and if its ok to use a timber beam, and what kind i need, :)

Thanks

According to trada timber tables cieling joists wont span that far.
What type of roof do you have? is it a truss or does it have purlins?

neither, theres a floor above, however its a conversion, so there floor joists are 2 feet above my ceiling joists, so theres a cavity above the whole of my flat.

so if they wont span that far, do i need to make a building control notice, and what type of timber can i use as a lintle? And can each end of it be built into the vestibule and wall in the hall?

Thanks,

Juno, you appear to contradict yourself. First off you say:-

Iv looked in the attic and the beans supporting the ceiling span the width of the flat, which is 3.7 meters, the beams are 2" x 5".
then you say:-
neither, theres a floor above, however its a conversion, so there floor joists are 2 feet above my ceiling joists, so theres a cavity above the whole of my flat.
Well, what is it directly above your ceiling? It's one or the other?

Be careful. Building Regs also cover means of escape in case of fire and depending on which floor you are on, or wether you are creating an inner room your layout may not always be acceptable under the regs.

Suggest you contact your local building control surveyor.

Good Luk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back