Building decking... advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

i'm about to build quite a small deck outside and I have a few issues that i'm hoping someone can help me with:

the level of the deck (it cannot be higher or lower) means that the boards will be going over a vent on the wall (used for vented tumble dryers)
I'm not sure how to cater for this. The vent is finished with a plastic frame with movable slats in it.

secondly, being above the DPC do I need to do anything special with the timber attached to the house, or is it ok just attaching it to the wall? there are actually 2 walls that will have timber attached

lastly, the timber I am using is 3"x2" (was given a load of 3m lengths)
Do I need to buy joist hangers or is there another way of fitting the joists?

thanks in advance for your help,

matt

Sponsored Links
1. Just build frame around it, leaving a small gap! (I suppose you knew that was the answer anyway)

2. So long as you don't actually bridge the dpc then you won't have a problem. Either way, to be sure, leave a small gap between the wall and the frame by using spacers

3. No need to use expensive joist hangers - they won't particularly help. Just screw the joists to the outer frame.

3x2 is not normally used becaue it is too bendy. Make sure that you have lots more support than you may have seen for 4x2 or 6x2 joist work, or your deck will bounce. If you have loads, consider doubling up the 3x2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back