Building over an existing garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am currently looking to build an extension that builds above a utility room and an integral garage. The utility room is at the side of the house and the garage backs onto this. We are also going to be converting the garage into a games room. We are currently going through the planning stage at the moment so have had drawings done and paid the planning application fee.

The outside wall of the utility room (The one we would be building on) is a cavity wall and the garage that backs onto this room is a single wall. I wondered if people thought it would be likely that the foundations would be wide/deep enough to support a second storey? There are two other properties in my street that have built above their garages but unfortunately the current owners did not do the extensions to know if their footings were deep enough or if additional work had to be done

Its my first building project so at the moment i have more questions than answers

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
When was the house originally built- if recently (20-30 years) your local council planning/building control should have the original drawings and details which will answer your questions straight away. Well worth giving them a ring first.

If older or the garage was a later addition then you may have to get your spade out and have a dig.

When was the house originally built- if recently (20-30 years) your local council planning/building control should have the original drawings and details which will answer your questions straight away. Well worth giving them a ring first.

If older or the garage was a later addition then you may have to get your spade out and have a dig.
Haha, gotta love his optimism! You might get some drawings from the LA, you will certainly have to pay a fee, it will likely take several weeks at least, all assuming they are actually prepared to look, they have them somewhere in their archives and they can actually find them.

In anycase you will have to expose the foundations and see what lies beneath, even if you somehow find some ancient Building Regs drawings. Then get Building Control out to have a look. That said if your house is a developer built house built within the last 20 years or so then chances are your foundations will be adequate, if not then it may well be more economical to start all over again.

There are a few threads on here eg //www.diynot.com/forums/building/over-garage-extension.355268/#2677779

I believe the house was built in 1980. The garage has always been a part of the house. Thanks for the responses

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back