Building regs and doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm planning on having my loft converted, have the planning permission and party wall agreements.
I want to know if there is any way round having all my doors replaced with fire doors. They are pretty much the only original features in my flat so I really don't want to get rid of them.

the loft conversion company have said I might be able to have wired in smoke alarms instead, but someone else told me they tried this and still eventually had to replace the doors.

Also I thought about just putting them back afterwards, but someone has told me that the whole door frame had to be replaced in their place. REALLY don't want this to happen- I have lovely wooden door frames too.
Is it inevitable or is there a way round it?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can upgrade your doors if the doors lend themselves to that approach and your Inspector is happy with that approach. Google 'fire door upgrade'.

Your inspector may allow additional linked detectors in habitable rooms as an alternative.

Often only the doors themselves need upgrading rather than frames aswell unless the existing frames are woefully inadequate. Though if you swapped them back to your original doors your Buildings Insurance will likely be invalidated should the worse happen.

Get the Inspector out and talk to him.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back