Building Regs for small extension/utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hoping someone can give me some advice arround a small self-built extension I want to build on the side of my bungalow.

The extension will be 4.5m2 (externally), and will, for all intents and purposes, act as a porch/utility room. It will enclose the only external door to the property which is at the side, but will obviously have its own external door; so the property will be accessed via this 'porch'. I don't believe it falls under a porch for permitted develpment due to it's size (which would have been exempt from building regs), but I believe it is within PD for an extension. (I know there is more than just floor area to consider when looking at permitted development, but based on my requirements I believe it does.)

My querstion is, as long as I retain the existing external door to the property, and don't have this extension heated, do I still need to submit a building control notice to my LA? It will be of brick contstruction with roof tiles, have a window, external door and be within 2m of the boundry.

Thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
You're mixing up building regulations and planning permission. Which do you want to know about?

Thanks Woody. Maybe it's just the way I have worded my post, but I'm fairly sure I understand the difference (or maybe I don't?)...

It's building regs I am asking about. The porch/utility room/extension (whatever it may be classed as) I want to build, would fall under permitted development for extensions (I think). The planning portal states "Most extensions of properties require approval under the Building Regulations" but does say there are exceptions, though I'm not sure I fully understand these exceptions. The extension is intended to be used as an entrance porch with a washer/dryer in it.

I guess the only reason I brought PD into it was because I would prefer to build under PD and without submitting a building notice (to save money). If this structure I wish to build is considered a porch then I wouldn't need to submit a building notice as it's under 30m2, but I would still need to apply for planning permission because it's over 3m2.

To build it at 4.5m2 and under PD, it must be considered an extension, and therefore I would have expected that building regs for extensions (rather than porches) would apply. However, because it's not really a habitable room, is unheated and will retain the existing external door to the property, would it be exempt from building regs?

Sponsored Links
If it looks like a porch and that is it's main use, then it will be exempt from building regulations for the structure, but the plumbing electrics and ventilation would be controlled works requiring an application ...... which would then put in question the use as a porch or utility.

But that's probably too strict application of the building regs, so you would normally say it's a porch with a washer in it. But the moment it becomes more of a utility room (defined by its use not your description) then the building regulations will apply.

You would also be wise to check what your house insurers will think of a risky appliance in front of the main entrance/exit door. Whatever you call the room.

Thanks. That sheds a little more light on it. I hadn't really considered plumbing and ventilation (I wasn't aware these were subject to build regs). The electrics would simply be a fused spur from my kitchen and carried out by my electrician (as I think Part P would apply here), and the waste from the washer I had planned to take into the kitchen (the opposite side of the external wall my so-called porch is going on) and connect to the existing washer connection under the sink. Likewise for the plumbing, I had intended to extent the existing washer connection through the external wall and into my porch.

At what point would it become a utility room? It's use (whilst I am living here) will be typical porch use - somewhere to store coats and shoes and dry off before entering the house (the external door leads directly into the kitchen). The only exception would the washer and dryer as we have a small kitchen and these two appliances currently take up valuable cupboard space. There will no no sink.

Finally, if I treat it as a porch under building regs, do I have to treat it as a porch under PD? Or can it still be considered an extension under PD?

Thanks for the info re the insurers aswell, something else I hadn't really considered.

Planning and building regulations are not connected. A porch, extension, conservatory or whatever have different criteria under the different regulations, and say a porch under building regulations might be an extension under planning regulations.

Normal waste pipes connected to the existing plumbing won't need building regulations, new drainage connections might.

It becomes a utility room when you start using it as one. A washing machine in a room does not make a utility.

That's great. Makes this a lot clearer for me. I think that's where I was getting confused, assuming it would be considered the same type of structure under both planning and building regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back