Building regs for soil pipe runs

J

jashton

The building regs specify a maximum horizontal soil pipe run of 6m "when connected to a single WC"
Can someone please explain what they're getting at? The phrase "when connected to a single WC" is a bit vague, in that it doesn't give an reason as to why.
I'm planning an extension and it's going to place my existing WC more than 6 metres from either of my exterior side walls.
The direction I want to run the pipe means an 8 metre horizontal run, at first floor level, then into a vertical stack. Is this doable? Along with the WC there will be a basin and bath going into the same horizontal run at its starting point.
I understand the logic of long runs being (I assume) that the volume discharged by the WC won't be sufficient to clear the pipe if it's >6 metres. What I don't get is why you can have a run of >6 metres for an underground pipe. Surely the same logic re water volume would apply. Is there an assumption that other water will be flowing into the underground, helping keep it flushed? If so does the fact that I will have a bath and basin waste on my pipe help its chances of exceeding 6 metres?
Or am I wrong re water volume and the restrictions are related to air flow? I can put a vertical vent stack right outside the bathroom so venting the pipe at source isn't a problem
Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's 6m for a single WC if unvented. You can go further if it is vented at the end as is the case with underground drainage. You should have it vented if you are connecting more than one appliance anyway.

It will be vented. I think I just didn't read the regs properly. What I'm looking at is actually a branch and it seems 15m is the limit there
Thanks for the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back