Building Regs Notice for APPROVED Plans?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm new!! But have a feeling I will be a frequent visitor in the months to come!

Hubbie and I are projecting managing the extension and renovation of our 1950s detached bungalow. Our plan entails demolishing existing garage and lean-to, and erecting a 24' x 11' single storey side extension with hip roof in their place. We will knock through from the existing kitchen to the new extension to make a larger kitchen/diner (rear), then there will be a dividing wall to a new study (front). The wall to be knocked through is an external wall.

We already have Building Regulations Approval (permitted development) for our submitted plans. The approved plans are for a 1.4m knocked through opening between existing kitchen and new kitchen/diner. However, following a visit yesterday from a freelance kitchen designer, we have decided to open this up much more to 4m. This will obviously need a longer RSJ than originally planned for.

We will talk to the Structural Engineer who did our plans, and our bricklayer, tomorrow but wondered whether anybody today could give us a heads up on whether we will need to go back to the council for further approval and, if so, would a Building Notice suffice? If a Building Notice is all that is needed, how long does the process take? Can we start to demolish and commence footings whilst this is happening given we already have approval? I've tried looking on our local Council's website for info but to no avail.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forgot to mention that the drainage would also need to change from approved plan as kitchen sink will now be in a different position.

I'd presume that if you're altering any aspect that is notifiable it will need a separate approval.. Nothing to stop you getting on with what you've already had approval for while you seek any necessary additionals, and from what you've described of the changes, you're only making a bigger opening - surely you can either leave this this aspect until it's approved or do what's already approved, then widen it later. Depends how much you really need to get on with making a hole in the wall..

As this is just a Building Regulations matter, you are allowed to make changes as you go along, as long as the changes still comply with the regs.

In terms of the structural opening, it matters not whether it is 1.4m, 4m or 24m; what will happen in any event is that the council will ask to see structural calcs for the beam(s). Again, it doesn't matter at what stage those are sent in, but they have to be checked by the council's own engineer, and if they are found to be incorrect........?

But if you have a competent SE to do the figures, and stick to his spec. for the beam(s) and padstones you should be OK.

Sponsored Links
We already have Building Regulations Approval (permitted development) for our submitted plans.

Just something to bear in mind... Building Regulations Approval and Permitted Development are two completely different things.

So are you saying your proposals are PD and you've already submitted a BR application and wish to make changes? If so, amended drawings would suffice. No need to go through the process of re-applying.

We already have Building Regulations Approval (permitted development) for our submitted plans.
Yeah same as what he said above.

I think you need to substitute the words "Planning Approval" in place of "Building Regulations Approval".

Does this mean that you have not produced a full reg's drawing yet?

Thanks for all your helpful replies. As you rightly say, we have Planning Approval (under permitted development criteria). Yes, we had drawings submitted by our Structural Engineer. I will speak to our SE today and take things from there - your replies have given me a good heads up. Thanks! No doubt be posting here again as the build progresses!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back