Building regs & roof flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My roof was replaced 6 years ago and within a year I had water penetration in through the wall where the roof meets the wall. I had the contractors back several times and they advised the coping stones and top bricks needed replacing.
I finally got round to doing the work and the new builders have discovered that the flashing was never cut into the brickwork, and instead was secured with render.
The previous contractor is claiming that he simply replaced what was there.
My question is even with a replacement, do building regs require the lead flashing to be cut into the brickwork?
If not does the failed render causing the leak still mean the previous contractor is liable for the repair & internally repainting the affected areas given it is under 6 years ?

Sponsored Links
Not another dodgy parapet wall.

Why on Gods' gracious Earth are these things still being built!

How long was their guarantee for?

thank you
6 years so I'm still in guarantee, but I'd rather not have him patch it up, I want to flashing cut in as this will be more water tight.
The work was to an existing building & the builder is claiming he copied what was there when fitting the new roof. But I would have thought cutting in the flashing was required rather than fixing it with mortar.

Sponsored Links
Forget chasing the original builder - you will get nowhere. Building Regs are not relevant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back