Building regs: Shed/Garden room over 15m²

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are looking at building a new shed/garden room in our garden. It will mainly be used as a typical shed to store things but we may sometimes use it as an office. The size and height will be within the limits allowed by permitted development. However we are considering a larger shed that is over 15m² but less than 30m². Due to the shape of our garden it will be within 1m of the boundary.

As it will be of timber construction (i.e. combustible) I understand that building regs should apply. Whilst I know it is very unlikely they would do anything about it if I don't get it signed off I have a slight concern as one of my neighbors is a bit of a PITA. So if I did want to get building regs approval what would they likely want me to do?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
if I did want to get building regs approval what would they likely want me to do?

Probably the whole gamut of those Building Regulations which would apply (fire, foundations, resistance to moisture etc).

Daft, really, because the only really relevant factor is fire, and the distance to the boundary.

Thanks Tony. I have been giving this some thought and noticed that you can buy fire retardant paints for use on wood. Apparently they allow the wood to meet British Standard Class 0. If I painted the shed with fire retardant would the shed then be classed as being made of a non-combustible material and so exempt from building regs?

Apparently they allow the wood to meet British Standard Class 0. If I painted the shed with fire retardant would the shed then be classed as being made of a non-combustible material and so exempt from building regs?

Strictly speaking, no. The proprietory paint-on solutions are intended to increase the surface-spread-of-flame characteristics, and are more relevant to interior wall surfaces. They do not make the timber 'non-combustible' for the purposes of Part B.

However, fire regs are often open to interpretation, and alternative solutions can often be agreed. It would be a very awkward inspector who would not agree to what you are proposing. After all, there must be thousands of old timber garages and sheds of all sizes built right up to boundary fences. Have a chat with your local inspector.

Sponsored Links
Tony, many thanks again. Spoke to the inspector who was very helpful. The paint will fire retardant paint will suffice, and even better he was happy with me only painting the exterior as it will have plasterboard inside.

No how anybody will ever be able to tell I have painted it with fire retardant I don't know (especially as it will have coloured shed paint on top). Anyhow, may as well do it for the sake of a couple of tins.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back