Building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my husband is a builder and will be building a single storey extension, plans are getting submitted soon,we cannot put in a building notice as we will be building over a foul drain pipe, my question is do we need building regs if my Husband knows the work that needs doing and can we just use building control, thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Your post is a little confusing. The extension will need to comply with the Building Regulations. The works will need to be approved on site by Building Control. You may well have to submit a Build Over application to the Water company and they will need to approve the proposals.

You are correctly submitting a Full Plans Application to your Local Authority's Building Control Department. You are required to do this because you are building within 3m of the centreline of foul drains. The Local Authority's Building Control Officer will advise you of what steps now need to be taken in order to comply with Building Control.

If the foul drain is used by other properties in addition to yours you will need a Build Over Agreement. If so be prepared for considerable expense as your local water authority in Somerset can be difficult.

Sponsored Links
I assume you are submitting a FP application as you are building over/within 3m of a 'public' sewer and not a lateral sewer? The latter would not require 'build over' consent as the sewer would either serve your property on its own or your property is the last connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back