Building Regs

Sponsored Links
If it's more than 1m from the site boundary, it is exempt from Building Regs.

As it is within 1m of the boundary, and because it has timber walls, you will find that a few men from Building Control will turn up in a few days armed with a bulldozer and sledge hammers, and will demolish your garage. And you will then get a bill from the council for the pleasure.

As it is within 1m of the boundary, and because it has timber walls, you will find that a few men from Building Control will turn up in a few days armed with a bulldozer and sledge hammers, and will demolish your garage. And you will then get a bill from the council for the pleasure.
No they won't. Ignore tony he's from the north.

Sponsored Links
Find me an example whee a Local Authority Building Control took enforcement for an outbuilding built on the boundary.

OK - just to put OP's mind at rest:

1. Technically he has contravened Building Regs through not giving notice;

2. He could apply to the council for a regularization certificate, but whether or not he gets it depends on the reasonableness or otherwise of the inspector allocated; (I wouldn't hold out much hope there);

3. He could sit back and do/say nothing, and it's almost a dead cert. that no-one from the council will bother him;

4. after one year has elapsed, not even the chief justice of the Supreme Court could order him to remove it.

Happy now?!

Tony, nr 4 - there are no time limits for enforcing life safety contraventions. There are provisions within the Building Act.

Tony, nr 4 - there are no time limits for enforcing life safety contraventions. There are provisions within the Building Act.

Sure, anyone can apply for an injunction at any time to have the work put right, but I think that is very rarely used.

I was thinking more of the s.38 method, which is time-limited.

The most likely objection building control will raise is the need to treat or cladd the walls to provide Class B (or class O) spread of flame, as it is within 1 meter of a boundry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back