Building Regulations On Old Loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any experts on building regulations please help.

I just bought a victorian terrace dating back to 1882. The house is on a row of over 20 houses. Every house is 2 stories high with a loft conversion. I think the lofts must have been part of the original build as most of them have identical dormer windows and some have increased the size of the front dormer.

My new house has been neglected over the last few years and I have started to fully renovate the entire house. Roof, wiring, plumbing, floors, windows just about everything that needs done is planned.

The roof was the original slate that had been repaired over the years and it was leaking in a few areas. I had the roof stripped out and redone with new slate and at the same time added in 4 new velux to make a large bright loft space which I plan to add an ensuite.

As I was replacing more than 25% of the roof and installing new velux I got building control involved. I thought this was straightforward to inspect the roof and velux but when the inspector came around he started to make stipulations for fire doors on all the doors leading to any of the 2 original staircases, including downstairs lounge and dining room doors plus all the other fire regulations you would expect with a new loft conversion.

The house is a period property with high 10ft ceilings and all the old original doors are currently being dipped to remove over a 100 years of paint with the intention of adding them back. The old door frames will be replaced at the same time to match the doors.

So could anyone tell me if he can enforce his fire regulations on a loft space that has been there possibly since the original build. I have no problems with adding fireproofing to floors and walls and interlinking smoke alarms in all habitable rooms but I really don't want to lose my pine doors. A lot of houses on the row have been turned into flats or HMOs but there are still some original houses like mine that have been renovated with all original doors. I know of one house that sold in 2011 that had been renovated with it's pine doors intact.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Sponsored Links
Your building control officer is incorrect.

If the loft space has not been enlarged, and the stairs are original, and no other alterations have been done save for installing the Velux windows, he cannot insist on fire doors being added.

These regs are not retrospective in domestic work, as long as you have not made the existing situation vis-a-vis the fire regulations any worse, which by all accounts you haven't.

Speak with his line manager if he won't see reason.

Thanks Tony..so even though I am ripping everything out and replacing with new plasterboard and installing the ensuite this still doesn't give him any rights to insist on fire regulations?

Correct.

If the upper storey has always been there (regardless of whether or not it had a door off its staircase) it could always have been used as a bedroom and the ensuite does not make the position as regards Part B of the regulations any worse.

Note that as you have stripped the ceiling out, he can still require an upgrade to the thermal insulation, as that is specifically required by Part L (subject to it being technically and functionally feasible).

Sponsored Links
Just make it clear that the loft has always been living accommodation, and you are not building a loft conversion, as the loft was always intended to be used as a bedroom with a dormer window. The staircase is historic, all you are doing is replacing the roof and redoing the insulation/drywall, so you are not required to bring your entire house up to modern regulations just because you're doing some repairs. You would only have to do this if you are increasing the size of the space, or changing the staircase in some way. If you're replacing the roof and drywall, you need to fully insulate and vapor check to current standards though.

Just an update.

All resolved in my favour quoting the information given on here by Tony and Tew.

Thanks again to Tony and Tew your advice was on the money. :D

Does anyone know if this is the case for a loft conversion done in the 1980s? Just had an extension on the back of my house, open plan with two (existing) doors leading to hallway. BCO is saying I need to replace every bedroom door with a firedoor to make the loft conversion compliant with fire regs! And the two existing doors to the downstairs hall.

Does anyone know if this is the case for a loft conversion done in the 1980s? Just had an extension on the back of my house, open plan with two (existing) doors leading to hallway. BCO is saying I need to replace every bedroom door with a firedoor to make the loft conversion compliant with fire regs! And the two existing doors to the downstairs hall.

From your description, presumably the ground floor hall, first-floor landing and second floor landing have not been altered in any way?

So is the only change that the rooms at ground-floor level have been extended?

If that's the case, the BCO is a nit and cannot insist on you fitting fire doors retrospectively. If he won't give you the completion certificate, make a written complaint, explaining that the position regarding fire safety has not been made any worse.

(Is there any paperwork for the loft conversion, or was it done on the quiet?)

Thanks Tony

Correct - the ground floor hall, first-floor landing and second floor landing have not been altered in any way (except decorating). Just the ground floor rooms extended.

I did make the point to him that we have not made the position regard fire safety worse. And he did backtrack a bit and said he would get back to me!

We do have limited paperwork for the loft conversion.

If you add a 'new' staircase, would you have to 'change all the doors' .. and make them fire doors then.. of just add a fire door to the 'top' of the new stairs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back