Building Tolerance On Room Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's a std acceptable deviation from the room size shown on a plan against the actual finished size?

We're have some work done & the room is 10mm undersize before the dot & dab goes on.

Sponsored Links
10mm! Is this a joke? That would equate to 5mm each side.

You need to submit more info' and give us some perspective.

If say you were building a billion dollar Hadron collider and tolerances were important then the consequences could be enormous.

If however you are building a poxy extension and mebbe the sofa will interfere with the coffee table you had planned then tough, you should always do a final measure once the plaster is skimmed.

Same with a kitchen.

Nah, this is deffo a wind-up innit?

No joke, just a sensible question, I'm a mechanical design engineer, not a builder. If I asked you the tolerances on say, a land speed record car, could you tell me? NO, thought not. That's my field of expertise, designing F1 cars & LSR cars, not buildings.

The finished sizes are looking at being 60mm under the minimum stated on the agreement with the builder, not really an issue, just curiosity.

Sponsored Links
That's my field of expertise, designing F1 cars & LSR cars, not buildings.

My fields of expertise are designing space ships, nuclear power stations and ballistic missiles and I soon learned that building is not precision engineering

The finished sizes are looking at being 60mm under the minimum stated on the agreement with the builder, not really an issue, just curiosity.
What do you mean by this?

The external building size is smaller or the internal size?

There are several things that can influence either parameter so the builder would not be able to promise you anything, rather just give you an approximate size.

Also it is more difficult to achieve the smaller the building is.

The finished sizes are looking at being 60mm under the minimum stated
You can't possibly mean that you haven't allowed for the plastering because as a very clever mechanical engineer you would have allowed for this, surely?

The room INTERNAL size should be 2400x3065 FINISHED

It's minus the dot & dab at the moment & it measures 2390 x 3065, so about 50mm to come off those sizes when finished.

The room INTERNAL size should be 2400x3065 FINISHED.
Do the external measurements tally up with the drawing?

If they do then you obviously have not allowed for the cavity wall and the plastering. A mechanical engineer would already know this though.

However, if the builder has had to trim the external size down due to setting out constraints then he should have explained this to you.

The room INTERNAL size should be 2400x3065 FINISHED.
Do the external measurements tally up with the drawing?

If they do then you obviously have not allowed for the cavity wall and the plastering. A mechanical engineer would already know this though.

ME????

All I did was specify minimum INTERNAL size to the builder, how is that my doing?

It's minus the dot & dab at the moment & it measures 2390 x 3065, so about 50mm to come off those sizes when finished.

Assuming 10mm thickness for the adhesive, and 9.4mm thickness of plasterboard, your finished room size will be 2361.2mm x 3026.2mm, give or take a foot or so.
Is that better for you now?

One would have thought that someone in engineering, of all disciplines, would have realized that building is not a precision activity, and that tolerances have to be so much greater due to the nature of the work. One of the skills of the designer is in allowing for these wider tolerances.

ME????

All I did was specify minimum INTERNAL size to the builder, how is that my doing?

I beg your pardon, sorry. I thought that the builder was working off a drawing supplied by the client.

If however you brought a builder on board and specified a minimum internal finished plaster dimension and asked for this to be a priority, then it could be achieved as long as the brick setting out allowed and that there are no problems regards cavity sizes and services running down walls etc. Oh and planning and p.d. rights and stuff also may influence.

Assuming 10mm thickness for the adhesive, and 9.4mm thickness of plasterboard, your finished room size will be 2361.2mm x 3026.2mm, give or take a foot or so.
Is that better for you now?

One would have thought that someone in engineering, of all disciplines, would have realized that building is not a precision activity, and that tolerances have to be so much greater due to the nature of the work. One of the skills of the designer is in allowing for these wider tolerances.

I'm fully aware of the large tolerances, but was unaware of what they are exactly, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

we are building a 14,00mm long car to +-1mm, I realise those sort of tolerances couldn't be achieved

If however you brought a builder on board and specified a minimum internal finished plaster dimension and asked for this to be a priority, then it could be achieved as long as the brick setting out allowed and that there are no problems regards cavity sizes and services running down walls etc. Oh and planning and p.d. rights and stuff also may influence.
Is this the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back