Building Tolerance On Room Size

Was the builder aware of the skim-skim size importance or has he translated this into block-block?

Yes, I got them to state it specifically in the contract. It says "minimum internal finished size 3000mm x 2400mm"

Sponsored Links
Problem is, with the hours I do I barely get time to sleep, let alone check somebody else's work.

and I'm an LSR design engineer currently, Bloodhound SSC
Ah, so you DEMAND and INSIST upon precision by proxy.

Nice.

F##k me, all I asked on my original post is what is the tolerance on a room size as I am not a builder or architect.

Some people on here are such dicks, others very helpful.

Was the builder aware of the skim-skim size importance or has he translated this into block-block?

Yes, I got them to state it specifically in the contract. It says "minimum internal finished size 3000mm x 2400mm"
I guess the builder either needs to offer you an explanation as to why this could not be achieved and his reasons for this.

Unless of course you had conversations about it as it was being built.

You were around when it was being built were you not?

Sponsored Links
No, I was demonstrating my area of expertise, ie, not building. If somebody comes onto our stand & asks questions, they get treated with respect & the question is answered, no matter how dumb or stupid.

Never are we rude to them, which is more than can be said for some

It probably sounds a lot if you are used to working in microns but 20 or 30mm is not unusual in buildings.

No, I was demonstrating my area of expertise, ie, not building. If somebody comes onto our stand & asks questions, they get treated with respect & the question is answered, no matter how dumb or stupid.

Never are we rude to them, which is more than can be said for some
Rude? When?

Look, if you stated a plaster to plaster size, then either you should have got this or at least a reason why not.

However, you as the customer have a responsibility to communicate with the builder on a daily basis. This project would not have appeared overnight would it.

That is not a good enough specification

If size was critical, then whoever drew up your specification or contract should have made it more explicit

Are those dimensions floor area, between walls or between skirtings? Are they at floor level, all or all the way up the wall (bearing in mind it is permissible to have walls out of plumb

10mm is nothing in building terms, and you would not have any success arguing for mm accuracy or using that contract term as a basis for complaint

It probably sounds a lot if you are used to working in microns but 20 or 30mm is not unusual in buildings.

Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. :D
Why let the truth get in the way, as long as you find the answer you like.

Jeez, do you ever give up. I meant the kind of answer in as much as xxmm-xxmm, not the actual number.

Some people obviously have far to much time on their hands & relive boredom by winding others up.

You asked for an internal size and you got it.

You asked us our opinion and you got that too but failed to answer many of the questions put to you.

All you have done is remind us that you work in microns and that you build F1 cars blah blah blah.

How was the internal measurement presented on the drawing. Did you ask the question then?

Has the external measurement changed from the drawing?

Has the cavity size altered?

Why didn't you query any of the measurements once the building was set out?

How was the internal measurement presented on the drawing. Did you ask the question then?

Er, it was a dimension to the internal wall, how else, brail?

Has the external measurement changed from the drawing?

No

Has the cavity size altered?

No

Yes, hence the inclusion in the contract & the drg

[/b]

You need to consider your next steps, Mark, none of which will be on here.

If you believe that you stated the explicit size on the contract and drawings and that this is unarguable (not a position backed by most people on this thread, I think) then what are you going to do with that "fact"?
Do you really want the builders to knock a wall down and put a new one up 10mm farther over?

I'm a big fan of not asking question if you don't know what you're going to do with the answer. Now, if you'd come on and asked something like "how reasonable / hard is it to take a new plasterboard wall and skim back the structure 10mm and put new plasterboard on", then you might have got some different answers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back