Built-in wardrobe: ideas/trades?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just moved to a 1928-built semi-detached house, which has a built-in wardrobes in the master bed. It is fitted between the internal wall and the chimney breast (with a cast-iron fireplace). The doors are 1930s-style 2-over-1 panel, and it fits into the skirting and picture rail. They are approx 180x49cm.

I would like to have an extra wardrobe fitted at the other side of the fireplace, between the chimney breast and the bay window. This space is wider, so I may need three doors, perhaps each slightly narrower. I was also thinking of having it made slightly deeper, as the existing one is shallow.

Are there places I could buy suitable doors from? Or do I need to find a joiner to make something up? If I found some doors, would a joiner be happy to alter and fit them as necessary?

I actually had a joiner round earlier, and he said he'd fit some MDF shelves and hang two modern doors (those cardboard things you get in new-build houses). Not quite what I want. :(

P.S. I can attend to the internals (shelves/rails/etc.) myself. I just don't have the skill to do neat trim and build/hang doors!

P.P.S. Here the existing:

Sponsored Links
Get a decent joiner in, he should be able not match the style of your doors (which are one over two not two over one).

Personally if I were making it I would bring the existing ones out so both sides match.

Jason

Thanks. Funnily enough, we've just had another guy round who seems much more 'with it'. He said the same thing... bring out the existing, so they are both approx 60cm deep.

He said it could be done with Pine, with or without backs (the current one is just a frame and door). Including bringing forward the existing one, we are looking at about £850. If we are keen to avoid knots in the wood, he suggested 'tulip hardwood' (?) which would make it £950.

Can anyone comment on how reasonable that sounds? I've really got no idea! I feel as though I should get another quote, just for comparison, but I don't know anyone.

He also said that it may be difficult to bring forward the existing doors, so it may be more practical to scrap those and make two new ones.

Sponsored Links
Tulip would be the better choice, paints up well and should not move as much as pine, price sounds fair but I'm down South.

I always build a full carcase rather than just a frame and doors but if your budget is tight go with frame & doors.

You could also consider MDF doors I do a lot of wardrobes that way and it should bring the costs down, they can easily be made with the same panel design.

any good joiner would beable to make matching doors ( i could)

i would personally push for new cupboards each side from mdf. also mdf full carcass maybe with adjustable shelfs on one half and hanging rail on the other half, then the wider wardrobe have extra shelfs depending on requirments

mdf is cheaper than timber so the price shouldent alter too much

If you want to keep the period look then MDf is the best bet, Ikea etc is OK if you want a modern look that is not quite fitted.

Something like these

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0133.jpg

Bethswardrobe.jpg

bill1.jpg

I prefer a wood grained MFC (melamine faced chipboard) for the carcases, does not need finishing and marks less than a painted carcase

PICT0172.jpg

J

Tulip would be the better choice, paints up well and should not move as much as pine, price sounds fair but I'm down South.

Yeah, he said Tulip would be less knotty on the paint. I'm actually in the North East (Teesside) so I would have hoped it be cheaper! Anyway, the fella who was going to do a simple job with modern doors has come back with £650, so maybe £900ish for what we really really want isn't that bad.

I always build a full carcase rather than just a frame and doors but if your budget is tight go with frame & doors.

The joiner mentioned this too, but to be honest, I don't see the point. There is a perfectly good wall there. Surely I only lose space by putting sides/back in?

I would rip it all out and start afresh.

Hmm, don't get me wrong: your example looks very good. But part of me liked retaining the original where possible, and I like the 1930s style. I'm happy that we have the original internal doors (1-over-3 panels), crockery cabinets, three fireplaces, front door, some windows, picture rails and delft racks. I know none of these are considered stylish these days... maybe it's my odd taste! :)

how do you upload pics onto this site? just saw linsey lohan on telly so a recent pic is in mind ;)

get a few chippies in, tell'em what it is you actually want, listen to 'em then go from there

i would personally push for new cupboards each side from mdf. also mdf full carcass maybe with adjustable shelfs on one half and hanging rail on the other half, then the wider wardrobe have extra shelfs depending on requirments

mdf is cheaper than timber so the price shouldent alter too much

Hmm. That, and the pics from jasonb with MDF and/or MFC has given me another option. I'll see what the joiner says. I'm really not sure if I should be looking at pine, tulip, MDF or MFC. I've used MFC and MDF for bits and bobs in the past (boxing pipes etc.) but not thought of it for a substantial piece of furniture.

Thanks.

how do you upload pics onto this site? just saw linsey lohan on telly so a recent pic is in mind ;)

get a few chippies in, tell'em what it is you actually want, listen to 'em then go from there
Use the IMAGE tag at the top of page to upload your pics, when posting you have option to add your pics. [show my images]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back