Built under double oven - carcass size problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

As we are having about a million people to Chrsitams dinner this year, I though it was the right time to upgrade to an electric double oven.

I've had a look at a few, but all seem to be a little too large and I wondered if anyone knew which manufacturer might fit.

The internal carcass cavity size is

Width 570mm (this seems OK)
Depth - absolute max 535mm
Height - 705mm (without destroying the base of the carcass)

Thanks in advance

SB

Am also posting in the appliances forum

Sponsored Links
Most built under double ovens will fit into the space of a single oven.
The old housing unit is removed and runners are placed under the new oven as support - an air vent is also required to put in the plinth.
They fit in a similar way to a built under dishwasher, which I have just fitted. The units either side of the dishwasher provide the appropriate support.
Don't forget you will need to upgrade the power point - very few double ovens, of any real use, come with plug and play facilities.

Go to your nearest shed and speak to the kitchen people, they will give you the appropriate advice.

http://www.comet.co.uk/c/Built-in-Ovens/Built-under-Ovens/1775
by way of example.

Built-under double ovens don't fit into a carcass, which is why you're finding they're too big to fit! :D

What you need to do is remove your carcass completely and simply leave a 600mm wide gap between the cupboards either side. There are then mounting brackets which you fasten to the two remaining cupboards in order to mount the oven.

Also, if you have a gas hob above your oven, you may struggle with the depth sometimes. I have a Bosch built-under double oven fitted underneath a gas hob and there wasn't room to run the gas pipe down behind the oven (there's about 5mm between the back of it and the wall) and instead it has to run sideways into the next cupboard. This didn't pose a problem for me as I was fitting everything from new but if you're working around an existing kitchen it's something to bear in mind.

Hi guys

Thanks for speedy replies.... I already installed a 32A supply for the oven when I rewired the house some years ago so that's covered!

The gas hob supply has been quite neatly done at the back of the unit and does drop down about 8cm into the rear space, but I think that's manageable as most ovens seem to have a lower rear than front. However, the gas pipe does mean that I am limited to a max depth of 535mm....I guess this is what I need to focus on as I'm not mad keen to get it moved.

D'oh, hadn't realised that the whole carcass comes out! The adjacent one on one side is only 200mm wide, will this be OK to support the oven?

I think a visit to the sheds with my tape measure will be in order - there is bugger all info on dimensions given on most websites!

Many thanks for your help

SB

Sponsored Links
Just been having a look on the internet and it seems that most ovens are min 550mm depth. The shortest I've found was 540 (and also the most expensive!) , but I think this will still be too big.

Looks like I'll have to get my gas man round...

SB

Just been having a look on the internet and it seems that most ovens are min 550mm depth. The shortest I've found was 540 (and also the most expensive!) , but I think this will still be too big.

Looks like I'll have to get my gas man round...

SB
Was it a double oven?
There is another thread where somone is looking for one.
I dont think there is such a thing. although there may be a side by side oven. (not one above the other).

My oven is the Bosch HBN13B251B. If you look at page 7 of the following guide you will be able to see the dimensions:

http://www.electricaldiscountuk.co.uk/pdfs/Bosch_Product_Specification_and_Installation_Guide.pdf

It's 550mm deep, as I say it only has about 5mm between it and the wall behind so you'd never get a gas pipe behind it.

Like you've said though, the rear of most ovens is lower down than the front, and this is where the gas pipe fits on mine. According to the Bosch spec above there is a 79mm difference between the front and the back so you may be in luck finding an oven that fits around your existing pipework!

Is the adjacent cabinet of 200mm the only cupboard to that side of the oven, or do you have others? Do you know how many legs there are on the bottom of it? Also is it fastened securely to the wall as well? If it's only got 2 legs then it might not be stable enough to fit a double oven to the side. If 4 I'd have thought it'd be ok.

Thanks again for replies all

imroberts - the 200mm unit has 4 legs (2 front and 2 back) and the one the other side is a corner unit. Hopefully this will be OK?

I've looked at the gas pipe and I think it should be fairly simple to re-route - got a man coming to check it out. That way I'll have 560mm of depth to play with which should be enough. The 'cut out' on the rear of the ovens should just be enough to accommodate the gas pipe bend up to the hob

Many thanks for your input

SB

Checked out the side cupboards in more detail and discovered that actually there is no unit to the other side of the oven (the 'leg' I saw is in fact for the oven unit). This presents a problem!

The space is a corner space, it looks like the work top is supported by battens on the wall. Not entirely sure how you'd get a side piece in which would be suitable to support the new oven.

Anyone got around this problem?

Thanks in advance

SB

Rip everything out and put in one of these:

ICBDF606CG.jpg

Sorted.

Well, apart from the massive disruption, no more worktop or cupboard space, and bankruptcy, that is...

OK - more sensible suggestion - do you know any kitchen fitters who can stand upright who you could ask to look at it and give you ideas?

Pictures would help.

I can't see it being a massive problem, you just need to beef up the fixings for the existing cupboards.

It's amazing how strong a whole kitchen becomes, when they don't seem to to be very strong on their own.

My built-under double oven stands on its own legs. It is not supported by the cupboards either side, but it is fastened to them.

Thanks for suggestions - Ban , the kitchen ain't that big, so the monster range cooker not really an option, shame that!

Pic here: The cupboard to the right is 200mm and has 4 legs. The 'cupboard' to the left isn't a cupboard, just a void which doglegs round to the washing machine (just seen)

Echoes - not seen that type - it might work though... can you give details of manufacturer/part no?

Thanks again all

SB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back