Burner, sandblaster or stripper to remove old masonry paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am smartening up the back garden and the walls currently have what must be 25-year-old flaking masonry paint on them (it was like that when I bought the house). I'm thinking of either lots of paint-stripper, or a blowtorch, or a sandblaster from a tool hire place. What's the best/quickest way to strip the walls?

Sponsored Links
that is a frustrating job, i don't envy you. A neddle gun will work well if you want to repaint it. but if you want it back to clean brick you will probably have to get someone to blast it.

The cheaper option would be to buy yourself a box of flap wheels which will clean it up but take a long time.

is it paint on render, or paint on brick?

what are other neighbouring houses done like?

Sponsored Links
I've got this the same job to do on the front of the house, got some paint stripper which is supposed to be safe for the environment.
You paint it on and cover with plastic sheeting to stop it drying out, then scrape it off. Must say Ive only tried a small test area but it looks like will need a few coats and maybe a power washer to fetch it all off? Has anyone tried a similar method?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back