burning oil quickly...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, well since I've passed the car test, I've had to swap out a failing hazard switch, but I was lucky to pick one up from a breaker for a tenner. However, the car gets low on oil quite regularly. There isn't a leak. It's nice and tight, but it is burning up quick. I'm adding a litre of oil every 3 to 4 weeks. That seems like a lot?

It's a 01 Cordoba. I've heard that sometimes there's a valve that can be replaced to solve it, but I'm not sure where to look? :/

Sponsored Links
Crankshaft ventilation valve might be blocked, so you could clean that to see if it helps. Some vent the sump to the outside of the engine especially on high mileage engines.
Otherwise, change oil used or its internal engine wear.

As above plus.....
It may help to increase the oil viscosity grade (for example, a 5/30 up to a 10/40).
Also, don't think it's vital to keep the oil level on the absolute maximum.....let the level drop to between the max and min marks, and see if the level stabilises.
John :)

I do try to keep it half way between high and low on the dip. I only top it up when I get a warning, which tends to happen every few weeks if I'm turning a sharp descending corner!! I'm currently using 10W40 since it's an older car.

Sponsored Links
Well, as Mursal suggests, have a look at the crankcase breather system.....these are pipes that take fumes from the crankcase and rocker cover to be reburnt, and they terminate in the air cleaner box.
They need to be clean, or at least open for fumes to pass.
Is there any blue smoke visible at any time?
10/40 lube for that car sounds about right to me, although 15/40 is available I doubt if it would change things.
John :)

When you say a warning?

Don't run it until the oil pressure warning light comes on, or we'll be annoyed with you.

Very very annoyed ............. :evil:

When you say a warning?

Don't run it until the oil pressure warning light comes on, or we'll be annoyed with you.

. . .But not half as annoyed as you'll be with yourself!

Don't rely on level warning lights to warn you. They're "last chance" things mostly, if they work! It used to be said in the days when engine problems were more common and cars used to use oil that the oil pressure warning light was there to tell you that the engine was shot!
You don't need to be topping up all the time as John says, as long as the level isn't down too far, but if you're using oil you need to check the level with the dipstick regularly.

When you say a warning?

:D I know yeah. It's a relatively new problem. It's happened three times now. The first time I thought, well, I need to top it up and so I did. The second time, I thought, well that's weird as it was only a couple of weeks later, and I checked the dipstick, and topped up to half way between high and low. Took about a litre to get there!! The third time was the other day(about three weeks later) and I topped up again and started to get concerned! Needed more than half a litre.

They take very little oil compared to older engines, so just be careful it doesn't run low, or it will cost you in every respect.
Best to keep it just below the max mark (don't over fill) and check it at least every week?
An oil change might help, especially as John said, if you go for a slightly heavier grade.
If it runs low, you will have money issues, will it or wont it be worth fixing, so don't go there ................

I had a similar situation with an old vw jetta. The valve stem seals were shot and the brute was burning oil instead of diesel, fabulous fuel economy. On some engines its possible to change them head in situ

When you say a warning?

Some years ago, I had a friend who drove a Marina. The only time he (or anyone) lifted the bonnet was when the oil light came on, and he took this as a sign that the engine needed topping up. :rolleyes:

When you say a warning?

Some years ago, I had a friend who drove a Marina. The only time he (or anyone) lifted the bonnet was when the oil light came on, and he took this as a sign that the engine needed topping up. :rolleyes:

:mrgreen:

Gave it an oil change and so far so good! :)

Sponsored Links
Back