Burning Smell - Consumer Unit - Pictures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

Just went into kicthen and could smell a sort of burning / bleach / ozone smell, hard to describe. Traced to undertsairs cupboard where consumer unit is located. When i put my hand on top of the cover it was very warm on the rhs so i carefully removed the cover.

Two cables have signs of overheating and the plastic mounting is slightly melted, please see photo.

This circuit includes the kitchen where i had both the dishwasher and kettle on at the same time when i noticed the smell, i have obviously switched everything off on this circuit and informed wife not to witch back on.

Electrician will be called, what i need to know, is this a monday morning call or an emergency sunday night call via yellow pages as i dont have a sparks on my list of trades i have used in this house / area?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You need to get someone now.

Until then don't use any heavy load appliances.

Cheers guys, just been on checkatrade and called nearest sparks, answerphone so will give it 5 and try another. Bugger. Any west london / surrey sparks here?

Sponsored Links
Prob just a loose screw, judging by the poor quality of what I can see.

Yes first time cover has been off, it does not exactly look like a work of art! Sparkie coming in morning, sent picture and we had a chat on the phone, have thrown the fuses that are affected and CU is now cool and smell has gone.

Will discuss whether further investigation / work is required, ohh joy. What pees me off is that a couple years ago had electrical work done that included a new circuit and used a Part P registered sparks (worked with the bathroom contractor) and no mention was made of the fusebox looking a state.

Get a torch, set your clockwork alarm clock, or mobile phone alarm, turn off the power & go to bed.

As long as you don't open the fridge or freezer they'll be fine until the morning.

Get on the blower then. Calling a spark out at this time on a Sunday will be ruinously expensive.

**UPDATE**

Sparks arrived this afternoon, loose connection, cable replaced as was cream crackered. Checked all the other connections and were fine though he was deeply unimpressed with the state of the box and said it reeked of DIY.

Am going to get a PIR and new CU as current one only has single RCD and has several random holes in it.

For the curious who got here via google looking for price, was £48
+ VAT for the callout and to replace small length of cable. Been quoted £220 + VAT for PIR and £600 + VAT for the PIR and a new Wylex board with dual RCD. 'Im in west london.

**UPDATE**

Sparks arrived this afternoon, loose connection, cable replaced as was cream crackered. Checked all the other connections and were fine though he was deeply unimpressed with the state of the box and said it reeked of DIY.

Am going to get a PIR and new CU as current one only has single RCD and has several random holes in it.

For the curious who got here via google looking for price, was £48
+ VAT for the callout and to replace small length of cable. Been quoted £220 + VAT for PIR and £600 + VAT for the PIR and a new Wylex board with dual RCD. 'Im in west london.

call out sounds about correct for a small call out job,

PIR and new board you may be able to get abit cheaper

I normaly charge around £550 ( not vat registered) for new board and full test

Laurence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back