Burying a section of ring cable under the plaster in hallway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i recently moved into my new house and noticed there was a length of ring main cable running horizontally round a corner in the hallway which had been attached to the skirting board rather than buried in the plaster in suitable conduit.It actually connects socket a socket in the hallway and at the other end goes through the wall into the adjoining lounge where its connect to another socket .I have no idea why it was done like that particularly as the sockets are flush mounted, but it does look very odd and quite ugly
Is there some kind of regulation that demands it should be like that or can i have the wall chased and bury the cable? So far i have contacted one electrician but he didnt seem interested

Sponsored Links
i recently moved into my new house and noticed there was a length of ring main cable running horizontally round a corner in the hallway which had been attached to the skirting board rather than buried in the plaster in suitable conduit.It actually connects socket a socket in the hallway and at the other end goes through the wall into the adjoining lounge where its connect to another socket .I have no idea why it was done like that particularly as the sockets are flush mounted, but it does look very odd and quite ugly
Is there some kind of regulation that demands it should be like that or can i have the wall chased and bury the cable? So far i have contacted one electrician but he didnt seem interested

You cant just bury it along its existing route.

Can you access under the floor and get a new piece of cable installed between the two sockets, and remove this existing piece. Best solution in my opinion.

Is it part of a ring, or a spur to/from one of the sockets?

You can bury it but unless you use earthed metal conduit then it has to be in safe zones.

http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-matters/27/cables-in-wall.cfm

Horizontally from the socket to the corner is not a problem but the section beyond the corner is likely to be unless it is very short (and therefore remains within the safe zone created by the corner.

One possibility may be to add an extra socket on the second wall. So the cable would go along the first wall (in the safe zone created by the existing socket) and then along the second wall in a safe zone created by the new socket before going through the wall.

Sponsored Links
i took the cover off the socket in the hall way and it has three lots of cable going into it ,two as a pair and the other heading off into the lounge. The one there I cannot inspect because one of the screws just goes round and round but I expect its a spur

the distance between the hall socket and corner is 42 cms,then from the corner to where it goes into the wall is another 34 cms.

the floor is made from concrete so i cant go down

i should also add the wall is only 6" thick solid

You can bury it but unless you use earthed metal conduit then it has to be in safe zones.

Horizontally from the socket to the corner is not a problem but the section beyond the corner is likely to be unless it is very short (and therefore remains within the safe zone created by the corner.

One possibility may be to add an extra socket on the second wall. So the cable would go along the first wall (in the safe zone created by the existing socket) and then along the second wall in a safe zone created by the new socket before going through the wall.

being as the regulation states 150mm max from the corner and my run is about 320mm you would then suggest adding a second socket before it enters the wall? How about a wallplate with connector inside?

Consider a length of steel plate over the top, 3mm protection is normally sufficient.

Otherwise, the other methods stated would be fine. Better to have too many sockets than too few.

being as the regulation states 150mm max from the corner and my run is about 320mm you would then suggest adding a second socket before it enters the wall? How about a wallplate with connector inside?

If the lounge socket is a spur off the hall socket, and it sounds like you think it is, then you cant put a plain socket in the hall to extend it, you would then have a spur from a spur. Put a wallplate in with connector.

Hey plugwash - I read 7671 differently. I refer you to 522.6.7 and 522.6.8. The cable does not have to be run within and earthed metal conduit (only) it can also be mechanically protected (by a non earthed steel cover). OR, just fit a 30mA RCD to the board, or an RCBO to that ring main and you don't have to bother with prescribed (safe) zones.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back