butting up 2 dormer loft conversions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I wondered what is the best way to close the gap between 2 adjacent loft conversions?
We have just had ours done and our neighbour will do their's soon. We both have to build pretty much full width as the houses are narrow and if the cheek of the dormer is brought in from the boundary, the stairs cannot go above the existing stairs and we would have to lose a chunk of the box bedroom.
The studwork for our dormer cheek sits 4 cm off the party wall. By the time you add fireproofing, OSB, batons and tiles, the outer face of our dormer cheek is about 3 cm inside the centre line of the party wall. I imagine it would be difficult for our neighbour to tile the cheek of their dormer. I was told it doesn't have to be tiled as long as the gap between the 2 dormers is weatherproofed.
What is the best way of sealing that gap between the 2 dormers?
Do our corner tiles on that side have to come off so the gap can be tiled or is there an easier way of doing it?
Also does our fascia board on that side have to come off?
Also is it better for us both to have our own gutter and downpipe or share our downpipe and have 1 gutter?
Its taken over a year to get ours done as the loft company had to correct so many mistakes. I'd like to avoid disturbing our loft as much as possible but we don't want to impede our neighbours development in any way.
Any advice would be much appreciated
dormerFrontFinished.jpg 4GrangeAveEN4RightCheek.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ah this old chestnut. This probably isn't what you want to hear
Ideally what I would do for the good of both your sakes is agree to them taking off your side cladding, , and the verge of your roof and bring both front faces and the roofs in together or at the very least they could take off your corner tiles and the verge of your roof and then still bring in the fronts and roofs together. They won't be able to finish the cheeks of their dormer and neither of you want a half cocked attempt at sealing the gap at the top.
Bring both your gutters in together but each have a downpipe.
This is one occasion where I would get everything laid out in a PWA, i.e. how the two are to be joined and how they are going to protect your property whilst the works go on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back