Buying a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please advise or recommend to us what type of Boiler should buy.

At this moment we have a COMBI boiler which needs upgrading to a new one.

What make should we go for, features etc....

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Stick to one of the big manafactures, you dont want to have trouble with spares later,dont get a boiler that has only agents in this country. 28kw is good size check the output of your existing boiler for comparison.

We have been fitting the Ideal Isar condensing combi recently and they are an excellent all round boiler.
We have fitted about 15 of them and so far had no probs at all, typical flow rates at a 35 deg rise are 12litres per minute. It is fully modulating and able to fit in a cupboard with no ventilation reqd.

www.boiler-diagnostics.co.uk
corgi reg 201164.

No arguments with that. Maybe a Baxi 105 if you can'r accommodate the condensate discharge form that Ideal, or an Ariston which is a bit smaller.

Halstead Ace High is cheap, smallish and gives 13l/min.

Lots opf h/w from Vaillant 837, expensive, and there's a new ish big Baxi(er, 130?). Bosch Greenstar big expensive but good.

I would only seriously avoid Saunier Duval and Chaffoteau, and anything really really new.

Sponsored Links
I have chucked a few of the new(ish) Ideal mini 28kW combi and can say its small, a pleasure to put up and so far no hassle,

I hate, and avoid , putting up non condensing aplliances but if I have to I strongly recommend this one as the after sales service of ideal is superb

Yes they seem ok. They're rebadged Biasi's which are cheaper - as sold in B&Q, but check the warranty - Ideals is 2 years, not sure about Biasi's. There's a higher output one out now too.

Watch the clearance on the right , has to be 50mm though its 25mm on the left. Have seen a few installed in unserviceable positions. One poor landlord had about 5 all "go wrong" though some through installation errors. Ideal were OK.

Chris forgive me if I read your bit wrong but are you saying that an IDEAL mini is a rebadged BIASI OMG :eek:

cos if it is it will be the first time that Ideal have heard about it.

Yes it is! 100% certain! Wots omg though?! I have mfrs Instrs for both - identical. Someone said Ideal changed a couple of things like isolating valves though. I think Biasi have a website. I left a query in the Italian one by mistake and got their uk sales director on the phone thinking I was important. Oops!

I doubt Ideal would freely admit it.

There a re a few quite sensible designs from Italy around - Protherm, Jaguar etc, which get niches in the market. All standard bits, apart form the pcb's which can be cleverer than you'd expect from cheapies on diagnostics, for example.

Diverter valves on all the Italian ones (mfr Giannoni)are a bit of a weak point, not so bad for us once we've found where to buy them cheap. Vaillant for one went off designing their own, and caught a severe cold on both their recent models.

An Alpha rep told me the Potty Performa was one of their designs - again its pretty ordinary inside so possible.

Ideal techies have been tied up withthe M series (Icos etc), after the Response, I guess. Word is it (the M) isn't as reliable as they would like. Hardly surprising, it was quite innovative. Took them quite a long time to get the Response acceptable, didn't it! So it makes sense that they should buy in a design for a bog standard combi.(mini C)

OMG= oh my god!!!!!!

Thats the last time i fit one of them until Ideal confirm they are definately NOT Biasi sweared I would never fit one of those pieces of s''t ever again

thanks for the tip off m8

Thank you all for your information.

What is this flow rates at a 35 deg rise and 12litres per minute means?.

When I'm buying a boiler what flow rate should I choose?.

it means that if say your mains water supply was 4 deg c it would be 39 deg c at your hot tap and the 35 litres is self explanatory i think

as for what flow rate to choose, you dont its what your mains water can supply. make sure that the installer checks it before you go ahead with a combi (for more info see previous numerous posts)

I thing we will go for Bosch GreenStar 35HE - expensive but we're looking for quality and reliability, efficiency and economy.

I believe Bosch has all that, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Many Thanks

THE SYSTEM
The Worcester Bosch CDi Combi is a sealed system appliance with an integral expansion vessel, pressure gauge and safety valve.

PERFORMANCE
Modulating outputs to central heating - 9 - 24kW (30,700 -82,000Btu/h) on the 24 and 28CDi models and 9 - 25kW (30,700 - 85,000 Btu/h) on the 35CDi. Domestic hot water flow rate:

24kW version 9.5 litres per minute (2.1 gallons per minute) at 35deg. C rise.
28kW version 11.4 litres per minute (2.5 gallons per minute) at 35deg. C rise.
35kW version 14.3 litres per minute (3.2 gallons per minute) at 35deg. C rise.

FLUE OPTIONS
The 24CDi is available in three fluing options - OF, BF and multi-directional RSF, whilst the 28CDi and 35CDi models are available in RSF versions only. The 28CDi RSF system can be run both horizontally and vertically, with the option of 45deg. C and 90deg. C bends. Anti-cycle control The CDi incorporates an anti cycle control system which, when used with heating systems with thermostatic radiator valves, eliminates wasteful 'cycling' of the boiler.

all that really depends on what performance your incoming water main has really.

its no good putting a top of the range boiler with a huge flow rate if you mains water just dribbles out as it will not work.

As I said get the water main flow rate and pressure checked then start looking at what appliance.

Ideal are about to launch a new range of high efficiency boilers at the end of this month.

Isar 120 with remote spark ignition, new ignition kit and enhanced pcb.
Mini 32kw this should be a good seller as the price is very competetive.
Istor an unvented cylinder kit to go with the M series.

Although the Mini may well be a biasi with an Ideal badge the service support and warranty is through Ideal, and I can vouch they proabably have the best service support in the industry. No I don't work for them I just install their boilers.

I even hear a grey/silver new Classic Boiler is due for launch soon as an extra option from the boring white.

WOW thats sounds great BDL

its just the term BIASI sends me into cold cold cold sweats bloomimg things

That Istar sound well pukka (little bit jamie oliver there sorry)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back