Buying a car - a road tax question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm buying a second hand car this weekend. Once I've paid the private seller what's the deal with getting the road tax?

Rather than paying a month tax for the 3 remaining days of August can I drive it there and then, a short 15 miles home, wait until 1st September and then pay for the road tax?

Sponsored Links
...and check to see if there is a loan taken out on this particular car before you hand over the dollars?!

Log book loans as they call them. ;)

If the car is already taxed when you buy it you could ask the seller to hold off from informing the DVLA for a day giving you chance to get it home.
If it's not taxed then you could buy it and leave it where it is, then tax it on the 1st Sept and then drive it home. If you buy it and drive it home untaxed then your breaking the law and could be fined if stopped and checked.
It's only 15 miles if you're feeling lucky but you could also have an accident on the way home and where does that leave you insurance wise.

Sponsored Links
No, I think you will have to tax it before you drive it home because the tax is linked to the owner and not the car. You have to tax it online using the reference number from the registration document and have a valid MOT and insurance. I suppose the only way you might be able to get around it is to hand over the money, then both sign the document post dated to the end of the month???

Who knows? Another prize b*llocks-up by our government.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's it, the owner is taxed not the car. Collecting from a busy town with cameras galore, for the sake of £10.83... which would buy me a nice bottle of Rioja, I need to ask myself a question, do I feel lucky?

If the tax is linked to the owner and not the car how was it possible, before the new rules came into force, to buy a car that was taxed and legally drive it home?

'Cos it wasn't then linked to the owner.

The rules have changed.

The only problem now is that the DVLA still sticks to monthly.
If they had a computer they could do it daily automatically.

Don't forget that, as it will still be paid until the end of the month, it is, in effect, still taxed to the end of the month but they say it isn't.

You will note from this that the ANPR system works to days or even time but not the money side.

It's just a blatant fiddle and we, the British, will put up with anything.

Someone obviously sat at their desk, thought about it and purposely decided to do it this way.

Who else noticed the ads at the top of this thread - .....check vehicle details, ......New CR-V.
Mmmm!

Its a great way of the DVLA to make more money out of the Motorist, Pay a months Road Tax for a Couple of Days or leave the car where it is, ( if the dealer will agree)

It is a rip off, I agree. A government sponsored one. One answer is to wait until the end of the road tax period before selling. I'm sure that could be very inconvenient for some people, though.

Of course, I'm sure that paying for road tax by the month rather than by the year (which is what I do) is much more expensive. I think that many people will have been put off voting Conservative for this and many other reasons.

I wonder whether more people will see the sense in voting for UKIP next time. The Conservatives, thanks to Wimpy Dave, are losing support; the Labour party are suffering from civil war; the LimpDems have just about disappeared. Of course, there's still the Green party and their windmills! :ROFLMAO:

Paying by the month is more expensive but that does not alter what happens regarding the days until the end of the month which are not refunded.

There is no reason why it could not be done on a daily basis.

Paying by the month is more expensive but that does not alter what happens regarding the days until the end of the month which are not refunded.

There is no reason why it could not be done on a daily basis.
Oh but there is: the government would lose an important source of revenue!

Just had an idea - fao DVLA

If they can't do it daily.

The reason for this new rule, of cancelling the tax when a vehicle is sold, was to prevent passing on of the tax (which could be several months) enabling those without insurance (who would not be able to tax it) to drive vehicles which were taxed.

So, now when a vehicle is sold the tax is cancelled.
However, the buyer could be able to pay to tax the vehicle (after being insured is shown on the database) from the 1st of the following month and the unrefunded tax until the end of the current month reinstated.

Simples - unless, as you say, "the government would lose an important source of revenue" is the real reason for the system.

D'oh, of course they could do it daily.

Sponsored Links
Back