Buying Ready Mix Concrete

R

richard7761

I've never bought materials to self-mixed concrete, or bought ready mix concrete and had it delivered ready for pouring.

I'm thinking about buying 0.7 cubic metres of ready mix concrete. Will save some hassle. I've asked for a quote yesterday from a local supplier, but no reply yet. Thought I might have had a quote by now.

I am curious of course about how the price will compare to buying the materials myself and mixing myself.

Any tips or recommendations? I'm in West Yorkshire. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
0.7 is a tiny amount for readymix so you will have to pay for the empty space in the delivery truck, you'll probably have to make up the difference to 4/5m cubed. It may be possible to find mix a mate type service where they will mix on site for you. Make sure you cost the materials right when comparing though as people underestimate the amount of cement etc and therefore the costs of mixing yourself in comparison.

You might be surprised at the price. When doing small pours like this professionally it often works out cheaper to get readymix but when doing it diy it'll probably work out cheaper to mix yourself. You will need a helper though and it is hard work but doable in a long morning assuming you haven't too far to move it.

I think the site I'm looking at actually mixes the concrete on site.

What is part load charge? Site says that is not charged. And says you pay just for the concrete actually used, because, of course, that is what is supplied.

I expect it to be more expensive that mixing myself. Would buy, but only if it's not ridiculously expensive.

If I bought from B&Q, costs would come to about £110. No quote yet from my enquiry - either email not yet seen, or they think there is no chanc I'll buy. :rolleyes:

I ordered 0.8m³ readymix of C20 a while back because I wanted to crack on and pour straight into a trench. I was charged £118 including VAT, but time is money ;)

Sponsored Links
I ordered 0.8m³ readymix of C20 a while back because I wanted to crack on and pour straight into a trench. I was charged £118 including VAT, but time is money ;)

Well, that ain't bad. My B&Q costing of £110, is if I bought cement, sand and aggregate. So, if I was quoted about what you paid for your 0.8m³, then I think it would be a no brainer to go for ready mixed concrete.

No reply to my request for a quote though. I should phone up. I'm looking at this supplier:

http://www.quikcreteuk.com/

Usually around £100 per m3, although as someone else said, you may be charged a bit extra for them sending a mostly empty wagon.

yep £100 per cubic meter is right. I had 3 cubic meters for my garage base it worked out cheaper to get the ready mixed than mixing myself buying from local builder supplies. And took 20 mins to pour all round happy days :)

i had lafarge with the poly fibers cost 295 for 3 cubic meters.

Only thing to be weary about with some companies if you dont use all that they bring they can charge you for dumping it

£55 per c/m (35 /n) in my neck of the woods.

£55 per c/m (35 /n) in my neck of the woods.

Could we please have the name of the company that supples you with 35N @ £55, and do you know whether they have a batching plant in Bedfordshire.
Thanking you in anticipation.
oldun

Could we please have the name of the company that supples you with 35N @ £55, and do you know whether they have a batching plant in Bedfordshire.
You will never get ready-mix concrete at £55 p/m³ for a single cube so long as you have a hole up yer *ss.

You may get it at about 80 or 90 per cube if you order a full lorry load.

You will never get ready-mix concrete at £55 p/m³ for a single cube so long as you have a hole up yer *ss.

You may get it at about 80 or 90 per cube if you order a full lorry load.

You will. Just arrive at the plant with a trailer.
Over 6/m with barretts is £55 per cube. Part load charging below that.
Poured 8m of it today and another 35 cube tomorrow morning.
Concrete suppliers here are highly competitive.

Richard,
pity you don't know a driver, they sometimes have a bit over they can let go when someone over orders.

You will. Just arrive at the plant with a trailer. :rolleyes:
Over 6/m with barretts is £55 per cube. Part load charging below that.
Poured 8m of it today and another 35 cube tomorrow morning. :rolleyes:
Concrete suppliers here are not in the business of ripping people off and are highly competitive.

Thank you.
Is this the company that you deal with. Joseph Barrett & Sons Ltd, 128 Eglish Road, Dungannon, Co Tyrone,
oldun ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back