buzz bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
anyone tell me what a buzz bar is? what it does? where its used? etc etc

Sponsored Links
itz a bar what carries power to different isolators etc instead of wires. used in CU for connecting all the breakers and in busbar chambers

installation_bus.jpg

The thick copper bar along the bottom of that image is a busbar.

It is simply a neat way of taking the power from the isolator to the seperate MCB's and RCBO's.

Sponsored Links
i think the nickname came from busbars in really high power systems which did tend to buzz

i would imagine especially so if they were outdoors and it was raining

Once, in a factory, we had an electrolyte pipe burst under considerable pressure ... having killed the pumps, we watched the leak rise in a graceful arc to engulf the overhead buss-bars .... lightening like flashes .. molten metal flying ... scary !!
Oldbury power station had to change down a coupla gears !!

P

We work on a site with large busbars, switch fuses, and mccb panel board busbars in a large room. This room is also full of compressors that are as noisy as........

When we kill the compressors for maintenance, it is scary how much 'buzz' you get - main incomer feeding these busbars is rated at 1200amp, currently fused to 800amp :eek:

Wow Lectrician that is going some. Yes but no but.... be very careful!!! :rolleyes:

I have never seen this definition listed, but I have always assumed that the term is derived from omnibus, meaning "encompassing or including all." i.e. a bar which is a common point between many or all circuits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back