Buzzing noise from dimmer - I have read up but cannot understand

Per

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently (or rather, my electrician has) installed some buster & punch dimmers, link here: https://busterandpunch.com/products/4g-dimmer-all-finishes

For one of the 4-gang ones, I have it controlling 5 x 50 watt bulbs in halogen lights like these (http://www.nationallighting.co.uk/I...hts/12V-Halogen-Downlights/BOX-AR111/pid/2429), one 3-bulb fitting and one 2-bulb fitting. The other gangs control some various halogens too, but not as heavy a load.

The dimmer gives a pretty loud buzzing noise and I've called the supplier of the dimmer who says that a lot of people change the "module" at the back of the dimmer to get rid of the noise. This is what the back of the dimmer looks like, and I would like to know (attached image)
a) what exactly is this "module" called and where can I find it?
b) will I find a better one that doesn't give away the noise I am currently experiencing

Any comments on that these dimmers are expensive for the performance you get are not helpful - I like the way they look and will keep them :)

Any help with this would be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_7868.JPG
    IMG_7868.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 391
Sponsored Links
The buzzing is almost always create by a small coil in the dimmer module. The purpose of the coil is to reduce electrical interference. If the windings on the coil are loose then they vibrate and this creates the buzzing noise.

The module is called a two way dimmer module. Tye number is HDP-400 and the manufacturer / importer is Denmans,

The one dimmer module on this item from Wickes may be the same as the modules used in your 4 gang plate.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Push-Dimmer-1-Gang-2-Way-White-60-400VA/p/195127

@bernardgreen thank you for that. So are you suggesting that the HDP-400 supplied by Denmans normally doesn't give the noise and I should try to track those down to replace my current ones?

Sponsored Links
@iggifier Sorry I don't understand, what do you suggest I do?

So are you suggesting that the HDP-400 supplied by Denmans normally doesn't give the noise
I haven't enough experience of that dimmer to pass comment. Good quality dimmers would have the coil winding coated with resin or other means to prevent the coil vibrating.

@Iggifer Thank you I have bought a couple of these now and will try to see if it makes a difference

If they're the Cheapest Reasonably Acceptable Product, then a refund is in order.
Nicely done. I'd be taking them back but it might be more hassle than it's worth in this instance. If it was through a tradespersons trade account, they'll only issue a credit (denmans at least), and not actually refund the money. Fine for every day situations, but in this case, the electrician would have to refund the OP out of his own pocket essentially. He may or may not be willing to do this.

Do I see a nick on the insulation of the brown wire and an unsleeved earth ? Are you sure he's an electrician?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back