By how much should I thin matt paint on skimmed walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had one of my bedrooms skimmed. Once the plaster has dried (I'm going to wait at least two weeks for this) how much should I thin the coat s of emulsion by and, how many coats should I give it before I put on the final colour ?

Is it: 50% dilute for first coat
30% dilute for second coat

and then my final coat (the one that you'll see?) :confused:

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
20% diluted, for the first coat only, will be fine.

Symo

It all depends on the product you choose to apply to your new plaster. As leyland emulsion can be only be thinned-down by no-more than 10% water (overthinning causes longterm problems, so be carefull), but on the other hand dulux trade emulsion can be thinned-down no-more than 25%. Also, DO NOT use dulux rich matt, b&q value matt, one coat emulsions, soft sheen or any silks on your new plaster. To be safe then buy Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt Emulsion and follow the instructions on the tin for new/bare surfaces.

Thanks, Third Eye.

So, to recap, I should use the Dulux Matt and folow the instructions on the tin.

So, is two weeks long enough for the plaster to dry and, how many coats should I give it BEFORE applying my final colour? :confused: :)

Sponsored Links
Dulux Matt is a different product from Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt, so be carefull what you choose to buy ! Painting on new plaster can be done after only 24 hours after the plaster has been applied, but only with special paints. Once the plaster has turned pure pink then it can emulsion with Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt. All you have to do is buy the colour you want to apply to your new plaster in Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt. Then thin down first coat by 25% water, then apply a second coat but have this coat thinned down by 15% water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back