Cabin bed safe to use as large shelf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Previous owners of our house have put up a cabin bed and desk above the stair bulkhead in our smallest bedroom. I have put up some shelving above these two and a sort of bookend on the desk.

We don't use the bed or desk for their intended purpose and I wondered if there was a way to tell how much weight they are likely to be able to take. Specifically I want to store around 800 CDs in four large plastic boxes on the bed (I am already storing around 200 records, turntables and mixer on the desk).

I am not experienced at DIY and it worries me that I may be expecting too much! I would estimate that the CDs in their boxes weigh about the same as a person plus mattress (maybe around 80 kg). The bed is fixed at the back to a batten along the brick wall and at the front there is an arrangement of brackets and battens. It is difficult to know what is going on at the stairs end!

I have attached some photos and can provide measurements or more information if needed. I would appreciate some advice!

Attachments

• IMG_0157.JPG
    IMG_0157.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0158.JPG
    IMG_0158.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0160.JPG
    IMG_0160.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would estimate that the CDs in their boxes weigh about the same as a person plus mattress (maybe around 80 kg).

Then it should be fine, right?

(Some people weigh a lot more than that.)

Put the boxes on one at a time and see what happens.

Then it should be fine, right?

(Some people weigh a lot more than that.)

Put the boxes on one at a time and see what happens.

Hopefully! :confused:

I guess I'm not sure how something like this SHOULD be constructed and whether to trust it! I've put the boxes on and everything seems to be OK (not bowing as far as I can tell).

Is there anything I could or should do to reinforce?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back