Cable and conductor diameter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When faced with a cable whose nominal current carrying capacity you need to determine, do you:

(a) measure the resistance of a known length of the stuff,
or
(b) measure the diameter of the phase (or neutral) conductor and use a lookup table to get the answer?

Reason for asking is to determine whether or not the cable supplying a shower I've just fixed is up to the job.

The shower is a 10.5 kW Triton T80.

Sponsored Links
There is an easier way in your case:

10mm2 T&E has a stranded cpc.

Has yours?

"""Reason for asking is to determine whether or not the cable supplying a shower I've just fixed is up to the job. """

Should he have fitted this if he is not registered for Part P ?

securespark said:
There is an easier way in your case:

10mm2 T&E has a stranded cpc.

Has yours?
Yes! Hurrah! Thanks securespark :)

Agile said:
Should he have fitted this if he is not registered for Part P?
The owner is a she, not a he, so what on Earth are you babbling about?

Sponsored Links
"""Reason for asking is to determine whether or not the cable supplying a shower I've just fixed is up to the job. """

Since you said that yourself, I assumed that the installation was, just as you said, fitted by you!

As you presumably must know, any electrical installation in a bath or shower room must be fitted by someone qualified in accordance with Part P, AND notified to Building Control as well!

You admit that you are not CORGi registered, are you really qualified and registered to notify for Part P ???

Tony

Agile, I really wish you'd b*gger off. You traipse around the forum making snide and invariably incorrect remarks, with no other apparent motive than to find a situation in which I'm either lying or breaking the law. Since I'm both honest and law abiding your mission is entirely fruitless.

I'm open-minded, and prepared to find that I'm wrong, so perhaps you could tell me if you've found any situation in which I have broken the law. I doubt that you will even reply to this 'challenge', since your usual trick is to drop what, at first sight, appear to be little burning fireworks (which are actually duds), and then silently decline any question I ever put to you.

In this particular case, i.e. on this topic, your assumption is that I've fitted a shower, when I said that I fixed a shower. You absolute burke.

Rather than doing anything illegal, I'm actually taking additional care, having replaced the Triton heater component, to ensure that the electrical cable, whch I didn't install, is up to scratch.

Even if I had fitted the shower, there is yet another way in which it would not be illegal for me to do so. If you really know so much about the Building Regulations then you will already know this, but you don't know as much about the law as you pretend to, so I'll leave it as an 'exercise for the student' for you to go and find out.

What does CORGI have to do with this topic FFS?! I've never claimed to be CORGI registered, nor misled anyone into thinking that I am, therefore I've never admitted that I'm not registered. Is my statement that I'm not a woman also an admission?

I get the impression that you're just bitter and twisted to read posts written by someone who isn't CORGI registered has worked out what they're able to do within the bounds of law and safety. You are the one who breaks the forum rules and has had his posts edited accordingly.

Kindly go and find someone dishonest to pester.

You said that you had fixed a shower and were questioning the suitability of the power cable.

The word "fixed" is derived from the verb "to fit" which means installed.

You used "fixed" in a slang way when you actually should have said that you "repaired" the shower.

If you dont use the correct words then its not surprising if we read what you have written rather that what you intended to write!

You should also notice that I an never downright rude to anyone! Nor do I hide my identity as you do.

Do you really think that what you have written to me is very polite?

Tony

Agile said:
"""... any electrical installation in a bath or shower room must be fitted by someone qualified in accordance with Part P...

Tony

...except for viewers in Scotland!!

;)

Agile said:
You said that you had fixed a shower and were questioning the suitability of the power cable.
Yes - and rather than assume that I was acting within the law you chose to assume that I was doing the opposite.

Agile said:
The word "fixed" is derived from the verb "to fit" which means installed.

You used "fixed" in a slang way when you actually should have said that you "repaired" the shower.
FFS :rolleyes:

Agile said:
If you dont use the correct words then its not surprising if we read what you have written rather that what you intended to write!
Fix is what I did, and fix is what I wrote. I don't see anybody (other than you) misinterpreting the word.

Agile said:
You should also notice that I an never downright rude to anyone! Nor do I hide my identity as you do.
I don't care whether or not you're rude to anyone - you certainly find other ways of breaching your member agreement. And how many people on this forum declare their real names?

Agile said:
Do you really think that what you have written to me is very polite?
I never said that it was polite, and what I think is usually none of your business, but, TBH, I don't really care. This topic was about obtaining some useful advice out of my concern for the safety of a customer, and you've just been getting in the way. My LABC is quite happy that the work I do is within the law, so frankly your involvement as legal beagle is utterly superfluous.

Now would you please, pretty please, just go away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back