Cable for cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me with this one as i am stuck for ideas.

i wanting to install a new cooker hood which is 240v as i 'm refurbishing the kitchen but i dont know where to take a feed from. I'm wanting to mount the hood and chase out the cable route but i dont know what route to take/can take.

The picture shows the layout.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/343/kitchenig0.jpg

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
You may have opened a can o' worms here. The junction box in wall - it looks like a standard 30 amp round JB thats been plastered in situ. :eek: This is wrong. Loose it. Either replace the cable or replace the JB with a blank plate and metal backbox.

Are you replacing the kitchen? At this time, would it be any great hardship for you to get an electrician to renew your kitchen electrics? There's only so much you can add to an existing circuit, and given the "unknowns" you already have, I would get it inspected and professionally rewired.

Where in yorkshire?

Do the dotted lines on your picture indicate known cable runs or are you just guessing? The line coming down through the junction box to the cooker switch is a reasonable guess but you'll have to open them up to find out for sure. If it's true then tapping the junction for a hood is not an option.

The fused switch to the left might be feeding something under the bench, either plugged into an unswitched socket or wired in. Why not have a look down there. Alternatively, switch it off and see what doesn't work.

If you're really lucky that junction box has nothing to do with the cooker socket at all. The cables are coming up from the floor and the mystery fused switch feeds the junction box. This makes the switch, if not the box itself, an ideal candidate for your hood. One can but hope.

If you aren't that lucky I would go for the socket on the right. Don't spur from it; extend the ring and include an FCU for your cooker hood while you're at it.

Sponsored Links
Space cat,

The dotted lines are the routes the cables take as i can trace the conduit up the wall and see the conduits near the ceiling. There is a switched socket under the bench so i will have a look at it but that works when the mystery switch is turned off??

Steve, Yeah kitchen is being re-placed. i Just wanted to try and get as much done as i could before i go back to work. Obviously all final connections would be done and checked by a qualified sparky. I just wanted to get all the routes and chasing done and dusted.

I am in Leeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back