Cable in meter tails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to a job today to wire in 10mm shower cable to a CU..somebody already wired from shower down to CU..

As their was no free fuseways on old wylex rewirable, somebody wired the old 6mm cable into the two meter tails on CU...has anybody come across this before...??

I ended up fitting Henley for now to a seperate breaker with rcd and advised him to upgrade CU

Sponsored Links
if it was wired into CU via seperate MCB/fuse, then nothin wrong. if conencted direct then its highly dangerous

It sounds like a typical bodge by somebody who didn't understand the purpose of a fuse. I've come across this one before, eg "That fuse is more than big enough for this wire." Nuff said!

Sponsored Links
I've seen the modern equvalent, by a NIC member no less. Shower supply taken to mini CU, with RCD (not RCBO, and no seprate MCB) and feed taken from the two existing henley blocks on meter board. So no overcurrent protection beyond the big one . :eek:
But, worse, these henley blocks, if you looked closely were actually where the old meter for Night store heaters had been removed, and were from the upstream side of the supply i.e. not metered at all :rolleyes:

I was, to say the least, mildly surprised , and recommended calling the number on the receipt to get the guy back, as it was only done about 18 months ago..
remarkable.

I guess if the main fuse is a 60A, its not perhaps as bad as it might be, and is probably just about OK in terms of short circuit protection, but its certainly not right, and shows a remarkably cavalier attitude to customer safety, and checking of work..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back