Cable routing for new socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to install a socket in the hall on the ground floor of my house, the floor is concrete.

The nearest socket is upstairs but I wanted to avoid wiring a ground floor socket into the 1st floor circuit or doesn't it matter?

Can I run cables horizontally along the top of a wall?.

I can use a socket in the garage and drill straight through the hall wall into it. Would it be acceptable to run a cable to a socket through a wall or should it always be routed on the face of the wall the socket is mounted on?

Regards,

Jon

Sponsored Links
The nearest socket is upstairs but I wanted to avoid wiring a ground floor socket into the 1st floor circuit or doesn't it matter?
Doesn't matter.

Can be useful.

In theory nobody should get caught out because nobody should fiddle with a socket without actually checking that it's dead, but in practice it would be a good idea to note on the CU that the upstairs breaker also controls the hall socket.

Can I run cables horizontally along the top of a wall?.
Would it be acceptable to run a cable to a socket through a wall or should it always be routed on the face of the wall the socket is mounted on?
You can read all about cable routing in these:

As per the last one - is the circuit already RCD protected?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter.

Can be useful.

In theory nobody should get caught out because nobody should fiddle with a socket without actually checking that it's dead, but in practice it would be a good idea to note on the CU that the upstairs breaker also controls the hall socket.

Really? I would have thought that each floor would have to have its own circuit? Not that I'm debating as I'm still in training :)

No - circuits can be split how you like.

There is a lot to be said for not losing all the lights/sockets on a floor in order to work on them, and front/rear or left/right splits are OK.

With a good schedule of circuits by the CU, and remembering safe isolation procedures there's nothing to go wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back