cable size

spx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on cable size for mains downlighters - I want to install nine 50w downlighters and I'm within the 1200w bracket.

I've bought a load of 1mm wire but i'm not sure if I should use 1.5mm

what would you recommend?

Sponsored Links
1mm is fine for your purposes. Here is a cable size calculator should you need to know anything more: here

BTW, you mean 1380watt limit? 230*6 ?

Used to be 1200 watt ( 240*5), but supply voltage is now 'officially' 230 volts, and the 5 amp MCBs replaced with 6 amp MCBs.

That cable size calculator is poo. I just manualy checked the results at random, and it is off by quite a bit in several cases.

1.0 is fine unless the lighting cuircuit is much larger than would be seen in a normal house

most sparks seem to prefer to use 1.5 though

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
That cable size calculator is poo. I just manualy checked the results at random, and it is off by quite a bit in several cases.

I dunno, manually checking TLC's calculator, telephoning suppliers to check up on conversations with other posters... Dude, you have way too much time on your hands! :cool:

See this from the cable calc in question:

QUOTE:

Caution - for Guidance ONLY

NO guarantee as to the accuracy of these values is given.
And they should be checked against some other source.

UNQUOTE.

thanks guys - put my mind at rest, didn't fancy a fire! :LOL:

1.0mm2 is fine,

1.5mm2 is normally used in houses in case the customer wants to install some additional lights.

Therefore the cable can then handle the extra demand without re-wireing.

dingbat said:
I dunno, manually checking TLC's calculator, telephoning suppliers to check up on conversations with other posters... Dude, you have way too much time on your hands! :cool:

Dingbat, what I do and why I do it is my business fella. If someone at a supplier or manufacterer gives out potentially dangerous information or advice, I will take whatever action I feel necessary.Incidently, I am sure I get at least as much work done in one day as you. I am able to manage my time, and as I start work about 7am and finish normally about midnight, I am sure that I do more than you.

That is the effing problem in this country today, to many people accepting of cr*p cos they would rather watch TV.

ZenStalinist said:
1mm is fine for your purposes. Here is a cable size calculator should you need to know anything more: here

BTW, you mean 1380watt limit? 230*6 ?

Used to be 1200 watt ( 240*5), but supply voltage is now 'officially' 230 volts, and the 5 amp MCBs replaced with 6 amp MCBs.

This is correct if the MCB in the ccu is 6A, may be i missed something, if this is not a new circuit it may be that the MCB is 5A, than the limit will be 5*230=1150w...

FWL_Engineer said:
dingbat said:

Dingbat, what I do and why I do it is my business fella....

Incidently, I am sure I get at least as much work done in one day as you. I am able to manage my time, and as I start work about 7am and finish normally about midnight, I am sure that I do more than you.

Well I shall consider myself well and truly put in my place. Just as you, by processes clearly way above my understanding, know so much about my comparitive worth, I should have realised intuitively that your hectic pace of life leaves no room whatsoever for a sense of humour. Perhaps, when you get a moment, you could try and lighten up.

PS: I was being jocular, by the way - I imagine that's another thing that you are much better at than me.

PPs: As is having the last word... :)

PPS: I am, however, better at spelling :D

securespark said:
Let's not get too personal....

That was, kind of, my point. But if we're going to play nice in the school yard we all have to play nice otherwise it's back to, "my dad's bigger than your dad," all over again. Anyway, there goes the bell...

DINGBAT

You are playing that game, by saying "I'm better at spelling"

And it is getting personal.

One man's weakness is anothers forte.

dingbat said:
Well I shall consider myself well and truly put in my place. Just as you, by processes clearly way above my understanding, know so much about my comparitive worth, I should have realised intuitively that your hectic pace of life leaves no room whatsoever for a sense of humour. Perhaps, when you get a moment, you could try and lighten up.

PS: I was being jocular, by the way - I imagine that's another thing that you are much better at than me.

PPs: As is having the last word... :)

PPS: I am, however, better at spelling :D

Nothing wrong with my smelling...I am lightened up...but your post was not exactly jocular when read if that was the way it was meant..

Oh well, I think we both have better things to worry about anyway..Oh look, The grass is growing!! :D:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back