Cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
More questions Im afraid.

Reading one of the posts here that said not to have cabling in cavity walls which are insulated and following on from this I would like to check a few things with you guys.

Currently I have the cables going to my light switches running in the cavity wall, only from the cieling to the lightswitch, Recently found we have cavity wall insulation and was wondering if these cables should be moved?

If the cables are to be put in the wall I understand that they should be placed in conduit to allow for the cable to be easilyt replaced and to allow a little protection for the cable, However I have heard several mentions of armoured cableing and metal conduit, what are the reasons for using these? or should you never use plastic conduit and standard cabling?
along the same lines I heard mention of using single core cabling, is this for specific purposes or all purposes.

Am I right in assuming that any cables put in the wall should run in a strainght line up from the sockets/switches?

Now I know some of these may seem simple to some of you guys but I just wanted to make sure i understand whats the best way to do these things.

Thanks for your time and look forward to having these things a little cleareer in my mind :)

Sponsored Links
I know how frustrating it is when no one replies to your posts. I am far from an expert but i'll take a stab for you!

Recently found we have cavity wall insulation and was wondering if these cables should be moved?

There is a factoring formula your electrician should have used when selecting his cable sizes; due to overheating of cables buried in insulation. Hopefully he took this into account and your cables are fine.

However I have heard several mentions of armoured cableing and metal conduit, what are the reasons for using these?

Armoured cable is for use outside and is normally buried in the ground. It's not used for supplying lighting circuits in domestic situations!
Metal conduit provides protection for cable is also is rarely used in domestic situations.

should you never use plastic conduit and standard cabling?

Nothing wrong with that.

[/quote]I heard mention of using single core cabling, is this for specific purposes or all purposes.
This is usually used in conduit (i think) although can be used for all purposes.
Am I right in assuming that any cables put in the wall should run in a strainght line up from the sockets/switches?
Vertically or horizontally from accessories.

Sponsored Links
just want to add that some typres of insulation can degrade pvc cables into a sticky mess! (anything polystrene based tends to do this)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back