Calor gas boiler -- "forget that if i were you"

Fine. So that explains the 42p, to get you to sign on the dotted for 2 years. During which time they'll get chance to recoup the rest.
current offer is 40p for 6 months, but 3 have just come off that and paying 45p. There's a get out clause for excessive rises after the discount period anyway, and the supplier I use is not one of the big players, and they know if they p1ss off any of my customers I wont give them anymore. :)

Sponsored Links
40p. That would bring it down to the cheapest oil equivalent (56p latest). Shame it's only for 6 months. Kerosene might be 20% cheaper by then, or dearer.

What I'm saying is during the last 5 years of hideous fuel prices, when oil has reached 67p in '08 and then £2 for 24hrs last Winter, the average price has remained the same 4.5 - 5.9p per kW. You don't have that freedom with LPG and most people on it are unlikely to average 6.5p or less per kW over a similar period.

Sponsored Links
40p. That would bring it down to the cheapest oil equivalent (56p latest). Shame it's only for 6 months. Kerosene might be 20% cheaper by then, or dearer.

What I'm saying is during the last 5 years of hideous fuel prices, when oil has reached 67p in '08 and then £2 for 24hrs last Winter, the average price has remained the same 4.5 - 5.9p per kW. You don't have that freedom with LPG and most people on it are unlikely to average 6.5p or less per kW over a similar period.

Funnily enough I got an email from the rep this morning upping it to 12months, but as I say the following period rate so far is still very competitive. You wouldnt get the same from Calor or Flogas because they have so much market share they dont seem to think they need to compete. This is why people need to shop around. Most people now should be in a position to achieve <50p litre constantly, as long as they put pressure on their supplier at the end of each contract and make it clear they're willing to switch. Calor are already getting their knickers in a twist now that they've started recieveing switch of supply letters from long term customers who they've been fleecing for years. Knowing full well that if 6 out of several hundred park home residents switch, the rest may follow.

For people like me in cities, could one of you explain how the lock in after Calor pay the £1200 to supply and fit an LPG tank works?

And more relevant how you get over that if you wanted to switch suppliers later?

Tony

Solar panels and heat pumps are great but their installation costs are such that it takes a fair few years to recoup.

The supply and installation costs are an investment into your property, the same as any other home improvement.

There seems to be no purchase other than heating where the consumer expects to 'recoup the cost'.

For people like me in cities, could one of you explain how the lock in after Calor pay the £1200 to supply and fit an LPG tank works?

And more relevant how you get over that if you wanted to switch suppliers later?

Tony

Sorry Tony I dont get your question?? Whos paying £1200 for what???
If you have a tank, then it just transfers ownership, there's no charge from the supplier, although it costs them a small amount of admin. If you need a new tank then you shouldnt be paying anymore than £300-400 for a new installation(I currently get them fitted for £250). Once your with a supplier your locked in for 2 years minimum. There is annual rent on the tank which varies but no more than £100.
I hope that answers your question, whatever it was !

But for me fitting oil or LPG is just plain stupid nowadays

Anyway I prefer the above view.

But you haven't actually got a great deal of choice. Solar panels and heat pumps are great but their installation costs are such that it takes a fair few years to recoup.

Wrong, I've fitted two heat pumps recently that when costing up new oil boiler, tank and filling it, plus the grant of £850 they received from government it came out cheaper, plus running cost is working out just under half the cost of oil over oct-December

But for me fitting oil or LPG is just plain stupid nowadays

Anyway I prefer the above view.

But you haven't actually got a great deal of choice. Solar panels and heat pumps are great but their installation costs are such that it takes a fair few years to recoup.

Wrong, I've fitted two heat pumps recently that when costing up new oil boiler, tank and filling it, plus the grant of £850 they received from government it came out cheaper, plus running cost is working out just under half the cost of oil over oct-December

What makes did you fit and what spec? email me if you prefer [email protected]

thanks

I generally fit hitachi but there is a Samsung unit out in may that looks very impressive

Open fires are all well and good when in use (Even if they are very inefficient)... a stove would be a far better bet to keep the heat in your home.. You have to view your home from an engineering point of view...

But a stove is deceptive as it's a closed system and burns much faster than an open fire thus consuming more fuel. Without your own supply of wood a stove is not cheap as the couple two doors down found and wished they'd had a multi fuel. Another couple in the village had their chimney lined and were very disappointed.

You've got that the wrong way round !
The combustion of the wood is controllable and can be reduced and modern approved stoves can have exceptional efficiencys. They burn much slower than a open fire

A nondescript unapproved stove may well gobble the wood up ........loads coming in from china !

I generally fit hitachi but there is a Samsung unit out in may that looks very impressive

I've had a look. Only problem with a heat pump is that one needs to locate it inside or build a shed (no big deal) but the noise 60 dB going continually could upset neighbours depending on location.

Tony

Sorry Tony I dont get your question?? Whos paying £1200 for what???
If you have a tank, then it just transfers ownership, there's no charge from the supplier, although it costs them a small amount of admin. If you need a new tank then you shouldnt be paying anymore than £300-400 for a new installation(I currently get them fitted for £250). Once your with a supplier your locked in for 2 years minimum. There is annual rent on the tank which varies but no more than £100.
I hope that answers your question, whatever it was !

Tony the figures i've been given this past week are (Flogas):

1410L [above ground] £150
1600L [underground] £350
But that is the price for the tank delivered - you pay for the civil work required to put the tank on a plinth or underground and the piping to the house [quote i had was under £2k inc vat underground tank]. Rental is £58/year.
43p/L for filling but that's an introductory price. Bit like their price for a 47 kg bottle £51... until the end of March and then won't say what it'll be after that - fair assumption it'll be the web price £62.99 inc vat. Compared with the Calor price which is £58 inc vat. Neither seem to charge for delivery but used to 3 year ago when we had a lpg cooker with 19kg bottles.

If each 47 kg bottle contains 92L

1410 tank holds 15 bottles with Calor price that's £870 compared to 770 for a tank fill [last summer's fill from the neighbours receipt]. So having a tank only saves £40 a year (rounded to the nearest tenner). Perhaps that's why Calor are offering £500 off the installation cost at present. Only reason to have a tank is usage... most houses should be able to manage on bottles perhaps bitter weather a delivery each month.

Not worth considering you say? Oil this weekend went up by 10p/litre..... 68p.... change in the weather!

Not sure why your addressing Tony but anyway......At present my customers are getting a new tank delivered, installed and commissioned for £250(£400 underground), but they need to put the base in ready, cos all mine is on park home sites the maintenance guys do the bases so im not sure what that would cost, but its very basic building/diy work.
Introductory rate is 40p/litre for 12months then no more than 5p/litre increase after that and only if prices rise. rental £60 a year
Bottles generally will work out a fair bit more in the long term, and more hassle, and less volume etc. I would never recommend bottles over tank, I've got bottle customers desperate to get tanks installed at the moment what we're trying to sort out.
Btw I wouldnt go with either flogas or calor, Flogas have a terrible reputation for ripping people off, and calor will want to hike your prices up as soon as they can once your off introductory, there's alot of smaller companies out there willing to a good deal and long term to win business.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back