Calor Propane gas usage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just need some general advice frim all you knowlegable folk out there.

Property,
Large house, as in 10 bedrooms all on-suite (ex hotel), Large living room, through dining room, kithen, family room, offices, a further 4 bathrooms, and a couple or more rooms. All in all a large house. Must be about 30 rads, maybe up to 40 rads, all powered by two new condensing kestons. Dont ask, i never fitted them!!!!

Anyway, in a year this house is lived in for about 60 days of the year. As in the heating will be on, as will the large gas cooker. The other 300 days it isnt used, its empty with only the caretaker there looking after the house and gardens. IN the winter the heating will come on for about 1.5 hours to keep the house warm and stop pipes bursting.

From Feb 09 to Feb 1, they used 8320Litres of Propane. Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

Sponsored Links
For a big house like that, it sounds about right.

If you want to earn some Brownie points Craig son, why not advise them to shop around for their propane. They can buy it from any supplier & retain their existing bulk tank.

Mind you, if they're paying that sort of money long term, they'd be better changing to Kero boilers.

I didnt know that, i thouht you were stuck with one supplier ad thats it.

I will look around, cheers.

I believe the rule's & reg's changed with ref to changing suppliers , & it is possible , although it might be a bit complicated ??? as the new supplier takes over the bulk tank ??? if you contact Calor they can supply u with a chart or imfo that will tell u how many litre's of gas , based upon input, your boilers will burn per hour ect , used to have one but where is question ?? propane has a higher calorific value than nat gas , there fore more heat ( energy is extracted )

Sponsored Links
I didnt know that, i thouht you were stuck with one supplier ad thats it.................Ah well, try the rest then try the best!!

Very easy to change over to new supplier Craig.

apart from calor anf flogas, who wlse is there???

Is there a website like u-switch for tank propane??

Cheers all, great help.

gas -r-us
methane for you
gas with calor
butane heat

Two silly questions!

Why is it only used for 60 days a year? Wealthy Arab? What time of year are the 60 days?

When the caretaker is there ( 365 days ) does he heat the whole house up 24/7 ?

I must say it sounds expensive to me but it all deopends on how its being used by the caretaker.

Tony

Not as far as I know Craig, just a matter of phoning round all the companies that sell bulk propane & asking for the best price.

Most of the large oil companies sell propane, after all it's a refined product like petrol.

All the oil companies produce it but most sell it to big industrial users and power stations.

There are only a very few like Calor that have a retail delivery service and thats how they manage to charge so much because there is so little competition.

Tony

I've counted 8 Domestic bulk LPG suppliers in an 08/09 Glasgow South Yellow pages. I guess it will depends on who covers your rural area?

Its used 3 weeks over christmas, and the rest during spring - autumn.

The caretaker wont be heating the house up all day. In the winter it ison for perhaps a max 2 hours a day to keep the place warm and stop burst pipes etc. DHW will be off.

Of cource when they are there its all guns blazing in the winter with the CH on most of the time, bar maybe 5 hours during the night, and the large gas cooker jobby used every night, think gordon ramsay size cooker.

The ga is run off oil, so the propane is purely DHW/CH/Gas Oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back