Camera RAW deal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Pentax K10D camera is used with RAW files and I can either save as Pentax PEF files or Adobe DNG both are RAW 16 bit files. I then use Photoshop to manipulate before saving as Jpeg 8 bit files.

The Nikon D7000 does not seem to give an option of saving as Adobe DNG the only RAW option is Nikon NEF files. It would seem there are a host of different NEF files and although Photoshop CS4 with RAW 5.7 will read some NEF files it will not read those from the D7000.

I have tried to find a way to work with these files. There are loads of programs to turn NEF to Jpeg but before doing that while still in 16 bit format I want to adjust the local tone mapping to condense the higher dynamic range of 16 bit before turning it into 8 bit.

I have tried allsorts and something I down loaded now allows me to view the thumbnails of pictures in Windows XP with Service Pack 3. But opening up in Bridge does not show thumb nails so not a clue what picture I am selecting.

IrfanView do fair better at least I can see all formats but I now have to change the files with Adobe DNG Converter 6.3 before I can start working on them. The latest Adobe DNG Converter will not run on my PC.

So instead of two files 10 MB RAW and around a 6 MB Jpeg I have three files 19 MB NEF RAW and a 17 MB DNG RAW and a 12 MB Jpeg file. I clearly need to delete one of the RAW files but which one not so sure!

Tried Nikon’s own software but will not run on my PC. The other option is GIMP with UFraw which will directly handle the NEF files but that means learning how to use curves. The fill light slider I have got so use to does not exist with UFraw. The same as all the other easy to use controls with CS4 RAW 5.7.

Now Nikon is not a rare unknown make so I am sure others have found a work around with this Special RAW files which Photoshop CS4 RAW 5.7 can’t read. So double reason to post.
1- Info for others with same problem.
2- Hope some one has found a better way around the problem.

If I had a fast enough PC to run CS5 then likely all would work OK but this PC is rather old.

All best for New Year Eric

Sponsored Links
There comes a time when you just have to bite the bullet and accept that the hardware/software is too old. Either that, or change to an older camera that will work with your other gear.

Thank you for your help. Having bounced idea off people in a number of forums I have settled with the Adobe DNG Converter 6.3.

It can be set to read from one area and write to another so I have set to read from the SD card and write to hard drive so it both transfers and converts together.

So on the computer there is no change. Well not quite during my hunt I found what codec does and I have installed the codec to read DNG files so I am one bit improved as I can now open a draw and see what each file is without using Faststone, IrfanView or Bridge.

As to lightroom last time I looks it would not do half the functions of CS4 so just could not see the point.

Sponsored Links
The link below says that it will work with CS4, and when you check the supported camera list, the D7000 is present.

Quote from link: This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original Camera Raw plug-in that was installed with Adobe® Creative Suite® 4 or Adobe® Photoshop® CS4 software.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4683

EDIT: Doh, ignore me. The ACR 5.7 page link to 'supported cameras' takes you to the latest list for 7.3. Hence thought it was the 5.7 list then saw the small print. Sorry!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back