Can A DIY'er instll a combi ? July 2011

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE KNOW im not trying to put any installers down or offend anyones technical knowledge, just trying to figure this out. Moneys short but god knows, I don't want to ignore safety or any risk to us or the house.

That said, Im talking about saving ££ and doing some of the install work myself. I know some gas guys I called really really didnt want to comment much and wanted to do the whole job if installing a combi, their selves.

HISTORY: 3 bed end terraced home, right now have old Baxi back boiler, feeding heating water and hot water one end of the house up into the landing (2 pipe sys at 15mm) for the upstairs rads and T's off at the boiler to the downstairs rads, under floor (they channeled out concrete.) I want to replace these pipes fed from the landing level.

I want to cap off the first upstairs rad and install a combi (24-28kw) downstairs in a ''toliet only'' small room near the kitchen. Its at the opposite end of the house. That way, hw would be fed with least amount of pipe, the old gas pipe runs that way and is an easy run to the original pipes. Researcing online some people say I can run the water and flu, some not. some say that I wont get a guy ''just to do the gas''.

I understand there are flow considerations, people out there have spent a lot of money becoming approved to do this. Again, im not out to upset anyone.

I can see no updated (2011) info on here. What is legal for me to do and what is a no no (like the gas). I was going to run copper about 3 matres from the boiler, then use plastic.

I have Q's!

1) Why do people like B&Q and Wickes and Plumcentre allow you to buy combis / flues / gas spares etc if you can not do any work, yourself??

2) What can I run pipe wise, irrespective of efficiantcy or rad layout?

3) I live in Bristol, anyone know someone that can advise me or visit, tell me where and what piping to run, incl size, to save ££, test if after hooking up the gas for me?

I understand about flue candescent ''gasses'' have to be vented out and away from anywhere they might cause condensation on things, also that rads have to be balanced and pipes have to be put somewhere safely and tied in properly as to not move etc.

I just want to work with someone as budget is tight, of course, and just paying the mortgage is a big commitment.

Advice guys, be nice and HELP HELP HELP !!!!

Rich

Sponsored Links
PLEASE KNOW im not trying to put any installers down or offend anyones technical knowledge, just trying to figure this out. Moneys short but god knows, I don't want to ignore safety or any risk to us or the house.

That said, Im talking about saving ££ and doing some of the install work myself. I know some gas guys I called really really didnt want to comment much and wanted to do the whole job if installing a combi, their selves.

When an installer signs a boiler of, he takes legal responsibility for it. That means that I am now responsible for your faults.
I'm sure you can figure out what kind of quality installer is happy to do that for a stranger. I wouldn't touch the job with a barge pole.

Chances are that it will save you a bit of money now, but will cost you double in the long run.

What is legal for me to do and what is a no no (like the gas).
You can pretty much do whatever you like in your own home and that includes the gaspipe.
You don't have to be registered, the only legal criteria are that you must be competent to do so and work safely.
Problem of course is that if something does go wrong, they throw the book at you, and I wouldn't count much on any insurance paying out.

Moral of the story: save money on other things that you don't really need like cable tv, 4 mobile phones, holiday, booze, fags or whatever, and use that money to get it done right.

Can't wait for you all to get started on this one. Me.............I can't be bothered.

It'a a...
wooden-wind-up-music-orb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Perhaps u should ask your neighbour if he is ok with u diying gas ect , after all it could effect him ( maybe ?)

DIY Britain :) in many cases performed by some ( many ) who have not got a clue :) they than sell there house to some un-suspecting punter who ends up putting it all right , diyed heating , diyed electrics , diyed bathroom / kitchen ect ect a total disater ( maybe ?) than there is the cost to the NHS who have to deal with the diyers who have injured themselves , shot themselves with a nail gun , cut there finger off with a an angle grinder , stuck a screw driver in there eye , fell off the step ladder :) some of these well known diy chains should be made to foot the bill for the chaos they indirectly cause :) :D

I have Q's!

1) Why do people like B&Q and Wickes and Plumcentre allow you to buy combis / flues / gas spares etc if you can not do any work, yourself??

2) What can I run pipe wise, irrespective of efficiantcy or rad layout?

3) I live in Bristol, anyone know someone that can advise me or visit, tell me where and what piping to run, incl size, to save ££, test if after hooking up the gas for me?

Rich

If a qualified person is willing to come and give you all that free advice in your home then he might as well do the job for you free as well.

I dont see many solicitors/accountants/dentists etc. advertising to give their services free of charge.

B&Q sell boiler in just the same way that Ford sell cars! Pay your money and get your boiler or Ford car! Neither check your qualifications or driving licence.

There is one thing that you cannot do and thats to advise Building Control. Fitting a gas boiler is a controlled activity under building regs. A gas engineer can advise BC but a DIYer cannot!

Tony Glazier

tony,the post was so long winded and i lost the power to fully read it.
but who is RICH.
tony,keep up the good work.

You can legally do it yourself, PROVIDED you are 'competent'.

However you would have to apply to Building Control for a certificate for the installation of a new heating appliance, and show compliance with Part L. It's not just the boiler, you may have to upgrade control systems, add TRVs etc.

Manufacturer's warranties usually require the boiler to be commissioned by a registered gas installer. Any RGI who does that takes responsibility not just for the 'gas' side of things but also for the flue not setting your house on fire, preparing the existing pipework and radiators so any sludge etc doesn't damage your shiny new boiler, and compliance with Building Regs so you don't have any problems selling your house later.

But I'm sure they'd let you lift floorboards and make tea.

good reply owainDIYer.
if the subject poster has to ask in a diy network i think the words comptent have been forgotten about.
But who the feck cares.not my neighbour.
blimey dont move to acton... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back